Snow fell yesterday from Western and Central Kentucky and Southern Indiana into southern Illinois, northwest and central Ohio, southern Michigan and New York state.

"It's a pretty expansive event," said Peter Manousos, meteorologist with the National Weather Service's Hydrometeorological Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md., which looks at the big weather picture and how it tracks with longer-term forecasts.

Besides the snow, the system produced freezing rain and sleet as far south as Texas and Alabama, and by tomorrow may spread into northern Florida.

We got nearly 5 inches yesterday, plus maybe 8 hours' worth of heavy sleet afterwards--I mean it poured down. It's snowing again right now. I had been a bit concerned about my daughter's flight being able to land this afternoon, but according to the paper (which I had to look up on-line!), Elaine Chao flew in yesterday and had no problems. We saw the storm band on TV--it's apparently heading east till it hits the Appalachians and that they are funneling it north. We're just north of the middle of the band--or were yesterday, I should say. Just south of here they had mostly freezing rain and sleet; 30 miles north of here got almost three feet of snow by this morning.
We'll have a white Christmas!