I agree with AnnaS about slighted as an ideal candidate for the situations you suggest, 1/2. One could feel slighted in numerous ways, not just written or verbal ones.

The other word presents a knotty problem. One could feel indebted or obligated, but neither of those words implies embarrassment, guilt, or shame. You'd have to add qualifiers, such as: guiltily indebted to Mrs. Jones.

But with a wordy qualifier, you still wouldn't be implying gratitude. Add even more qualifiers and what you end up with is a mouthful of complicated language: guiltily indebted to Mrs. Jones, but grateful. In fact, to be simply indebted to Mrs. Jones would imply gratitude, but to be guiltily indebted to her seems to reduce the pure gratitude that being directly indebted to her implies.

I think we need to add the Thai word to the English language. That would solve the problem and give us another word to play on the Scrabble board.

Thanks for posing this problem. I hope someone can think of a single word solution! And I'm assuming that geng jai is a compound word.