There are (at least) two words in the Thai language for which I receive frequent requests for translation into English, and for which I know the meant they are meant to convey but can not translate concisely into English.

1. "GENG JAI" this word is a mixture of the feelings of guilt and embarrassment and reluctance at receiving a gift or assistance from another, or else having to ask another for help. It is a feeling of shame but it may also include a feeling of gratitude, but with a healthly dose of embarrassment to go along with that gratitude. For example:

I felt GENG JAI to allow my sister to loan me money

When my friend handed me his car keys in my emergency, I took them, but I felt GENG JAI and smiled, red-faced.

2. The second word is "NOY JAI". This is a feeling when one is overlooked or slighted, a classic example is the feeling of shame or embarrassment when you are not picked, or picked last, for dodgeball or kids sports team. Another example may be when your spouse or lover forgets to bring you food from a food party back home for you to eat, or when someone behaves somewhat inconsiderately (but not too maliciously) towards you. The feeling of NOY JAI has a disappointment component too. Examples:

It made me feel NOY JAI when my girlfriend forgot to bring me a souvenir back from San Francisco.

For a week I had been waiting for my mother to stop by and see my apartment, but when she didn't stop by as expected because she was "tired", I felt fairly NOY JAI.

-sj