Whereas, I am an unreformed and unashamed user of the place names I grew up with, regardless of the official blessings bestowed on what I conceive to be mere tokenism.

I have no objections to people calling the mountain either Mt Cook or Aoraki, or even Aorangi. I know what they mean and I'm happy for them to use any of the terms, but to me and to most of the people I associate with, it's still Mt Cook. No matter how much shorter it gets (yes, I spotted that one, Max).

I was in Parapram the day before yesterday. It's spelled "Paraparaumu", but everyone I know pronounces it "Parapram". Same as Piecock/Paekakariki.

It's not insulting, it's not intended to be. It's just the difference between the way two languages, coexisting in a confined space, have grown to accommodate each other. I think it was NickW who expressed it well - it sounds pretentious for an English speaker not of Italian origin to say "Firenze" rather than "Florence". I feel the same way about the thirty or forty places in New Zealand where the Maori name has not been supplanted, it has merely been anglicised.

FWIW

The idiot also known as Capfka ...