I work in a lab studying heavy metal transport in the body, and we use the word 'efflux' to describe the active transport of metal out of a cell. My problem is that people have started talking about cells 'effluxing metal'

I have heard of this type of "transport", norgatem, in connection with an ion exchange between metals and other toxins, including bacteria, in human and animal cells and molecules of diatomaceous earth [DE] ingested by the person or animal in their daily diet.

The so-called diatoms of DE sequester the metals within their three dimensional structure and so pass the toxins out of the body in the feces. [The DE also has the additional benefit of drastically reducing the number of flies attracted to livestock feces in the barnyard.]

This ion exchange phenomenon is also exhibited by particles of volcanic ash having a 3D structure similar to DE, but trace elements in the volcanic ash [the technical name for the material escapes me now*] are not considered suitable for human consumption.

On the other hand, DE from some sources is recognized as "food grade" quality by U.S. regulatory authorities and it is sold in the U.S. as an "anti-caking" agent in livestock feed.

In Europe, I understand it is fairly common for people to take a teaspoon or tablespoon of DE every day, but the practice is little known in North America.

Most DE I have read about is about 80% silicon dioxide [which is very good for the bones] but only a very few source deposits are recognized as "food grade" quality.

It occurs to me, norgatem, that you might be familiar with the properties of DE in your work and that you might also be able to provide me with the technical name of the volcanic ash material I have described.

I am aware that that volcanic ash material has been tested in feed for pigs where its efficacy has been demonstrated in accelerating the weight gain and general health of animals on the diet.

The deleterious trace elements in the material, including aluminum, are not considered a problem by researchers because the pigs are destined for slaughter. Whether or not these deleterious materials could end up in a human who consumes a pig raised on this diet is another matter, of course, but that is beyond the scope of my question.

Happy to have you aboard, norgatem. There is more to this "efflux" issue than semantics.

Aha! Now I remember the name of the volcanic ash material. It is "zeolite".