In reply to:

La belle bel a dit: Was it a ham sandwich? That seems to happen a lot to celebrities.

A club sandwich (to us antipodeans) is a sandwich with several layers of bread and filling. However, in this context I was being punny. The Hawaiians killed Cook with a club. Hence the reference to tomato sauce.

However, do not let me deter you from considering the possibility that Cook was a ham actor and that he was so bad that the Hawaiians decided to ensure that he broke more than a leg ...

The other part of the pun, bel, was that Captain Cook had named Hawaii "the Sandwich Islands" after his sponsor, the Earl of Sandwich. Legend has it that the natives at first thought Cook was a god, but later when they discovered that he could suffer pain, they realized their mistake and killed him.

And OK, CapK(ook) you win the pedantry competition and I'll stick to Australian history. But not before stating for the record that October 1769 was his first sighting of NZ, but he didn't hit the South Island until 1770 and was still hugging your coastline in March 1770.