Never heard that one before. Among my favorites, which I related to my children is the one that opens, "What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?"

I have to be careful, though. My youngest who is 11 wrote a letter to Yale a few years ago asking them to consider her for admission because she wants to take Sandra Day O'Connor's place on the bench - and they better get back to her soon because she's writing to Harvard too. I considered mailing this for a while, but I can't bear to part with it. Every time I pull it out I laugh myself to tears.

Anyway, possibly because of my continual nasty remarks about lawyers she's recently begun to question whether she should go into law, "because everyone hates them." (Well, daddy hates them and besides, mommy REALLY wants her to be a doctor.) So we had a long talk - several of them, actually. And I think I've convinced her that the highest priority in choosing a vocation is choosing something that one loves doing, regardless of what anyone else thinks about it. "Do what you like to do and do it as good as you can." So now she's agreed to keep an open mind.

"What's your job from now through high school?"

"To find out what I really like to do."

I'm only elated she has so far expressed no interest in psychology.

k