>>>there must have been a truly remarkable foundation laid in that long ago schoolhouse in the country. We don't seem to be able to recapture that now. <<<

I think that many of the problems with the youth of today stem from a lack of respect. Bob's grandmother was certainly taught to respect her parents, her school teachers and her employer. She learned well from them because she understood the value of language and math as well as table manners and other cultural learning. She respected the need for them. Young people today seem to take pride in their lack of respect. (I can't speak for all locations, of course, but I imagine it's more than just a local phenomenon) I can't begin to count the times I've heard teenagers talking about the way their parents (teachers, bosses, or anyone who is in a position of authority) 'get an attitude' with them. How are these kids going to learn anything from anyone when they see authority figures this way?! If kids have that little respect for their teachers and parents, they aren't going to try to emulate proper speech. In fact, they rebel by going out of their way to speak their own favourite version of the local slang.

Schools are part of the problem as well, if bel's story about her son's second grade teacher is an accurate representation of schools elsewhere. If teachers are afraid (or school boards may be at fault) to correct spelling and grammar, they are teaching children to do whatever they want because it does not matter. The children will learn quickly that it's easy to take advantage of the teacher since he/she doesn't have the authority to correct the pupils. The child writes 2+3=7. The teacher marks the problem wrong. The student goes to the teacher and says that it is right, and if it's marked wrong he's going to hate math forever (insert crying emoticon). In fear of loosing the kid's interest in math, the teacher concedes that 2+3=7. (It's close to the right answer anyway. It's an odd number under 10. It's even a prime!) In a situation where the teacher does not have the authority to correct the students' mistakes, we are showing children that respect for their teachers and the subjects they teach is not necessary.