To what extent, if at all, does our expectation of an odor color our experience of it? Mercy; I'm sure it does. As Anne of Green Gables said, a rose just could not smell so pretty if it were called a skunk cabbage. The mind does play an important role: think of sucking on a wedge of lemon. Does your mouth pucker up? Those of you who have had this unfortunate experience: think of rotten potatoes. Are you making a face?

Can the mind be tricked into perceiving superiority even where none exists? Sure. Otherwise the advertising business wouldn't be so big.
can we be tricked into actually believing, upon using it, that it is superior Not everybody all the time, I shouldn't think, but some of the people some of the time, I believe so.

Like eta, I have a very good sense of smell, which also affects how we taste things. *I have always been able to discern Coke from Pepsi. This means that most people who 'prefer' Coke will choose Pepsi at least half of the time.
That's the genius of the "Pepsi Challenge".
Interesting--when you think about it, these statements strongly imply that Pepsi is in the inferior position--for whatever reason. (I believe the company was created some time after Coca-Cola had secured its own place in the market. But aside from that, MY opinion is that Pepsi is horrid.)

Helen--when I was a child, the scent of cloves would make me almost think I was levitating, with joy; it was my favorite gum; and I still love the scent, though I don't think I'd wear it as perfume! Speaking of which--I wear lily of the valley! It is also my favorite flower, for its looks as well as its...fragrance.