I live in an area with a lot of hispanics. One thing I've noticed is that at school functions, there seems to be a relatively poor turnout of hispanic parents. They're not absent. There just aren't as many as I'd think. (Subjective evaluation here, no statistics.)

I was listening to NPR on the way in - only caught part of the article and not sure what it was about. But, it was a little interesting.

There was this hispanic woman (in, I think, California, but I'm not sure) who was like a liaison between the school and the parents. I'm not sure if she was a PTA president or a counselor or just a concerned parent. Anyways, she's talking to this other hispanic mother and then NPR interviews the mother.

The mother had previously thought that being in the PTA was reserved for certain parents who had some kind of education on how to help out at the school. She was shocked to find out that not only was she allowed to help, but was encouraged to do so. Apparently where she's from (don't recall the country of origin), it's considered extremely rude and disrespectful to the teachers for a parent to get involved with the school.

k