as you know Dr Bill, i regularly go 'below the fold' to check on new post there, and while i only comment on about 1 word in ten, i do look at most of them.

i think we need to look at Max's concerns. i get on line with a local call ($0.12 or so) and local calls only cost me a connection fee-- 1 minute or 1 hour, $0.12 cents is all i pay.

the are many 'plans' like this in US.

other countries have different telephone systems.
DSL is widely avail here... and not outragously expensive. not so else where.

for many, connecting to the internet is an expense. One they budget for. i don't know the ins and outs of Max's phone/internet connect system. but i think he speaks for everyone who doesn't have the same ease connecting as we do and take for granted in US.

You paraphrased him, and took umbrerage with him-- i have found in my dealing with Max he is always a gentleman. Not a wishy-washy fop, but a principled man, who acts with concern for others feeling, but one who will take a stand for what he thinks is right.

if he hurt your, it was inadvertant.

It's not so hard to slide below the fold...

and we can always post an announcement to an interesting discussion that might be missed by those who don't often go below the fold-- that gives us the best of both world.

List of words that don't generate much attention stay below the fold, any that do spark lively discussions can be announced. (with a link!)

anyone who is concerned about each minute (that they pay for, dearly!) can avoid posts they don't want to see.. but they still won't miss out on interesting discussions.

this is perhaps not the answer you hoped for.. (you offered only 2 choices, i am presenting a third!) but i think you both have wonderful things to offer this board, and i want both of you to be happy here!