I got disgusted with Of Human Bondage, and am reading Mencken, The American Language. Mention of "popcorn"
having in the past being unknown in UK, it occurred to
me that UK would not likely know what "parched corn" is either. From Internet:
"n the 18th Century Parched Corn was one of the most important trail foods. Parched Corn is listed in many of the sources used here at HistoricalTrekking.com for research. It was made by first hanging the fresh corn cobs in the top of your cabin until they thoroughly dried, and then a small amount put in a skillet or spider with some bacon. The bacon grease would keep the corn from sticking and the heat would make the small kernels of dried corn swell up and turn brown. Parched Corn is the swollen and browned kernels. Parched Corn is a lot easier to digest than dried corn, and it's not as hard on your teeth either."

I can remember many pleasant eventings munching parched corn while reading or having conversation. The site from which I took the quotation mentions its suitability for
trail mix. I don't remember its being mentioned in accounts
of Colonial days, but I'll bet it would have been very welcome on long walks when no inns or taverns were available.