Hi Eliza, great to see you here :)

yep, OED2 confirms that, plus other applications of a similar tool ~ I'll quote it since the variants may be of interest to someone.

[L. spatula, var. of spathula spathula, dim. of spatha spatha. Cf. Sp. espatula, It. spatola.
The erroneous form spattular occurs in Topsell Four-f. Beasts (1607) 511. For Anglicized forms see spatule, spatul, spattle n.2, spartle n., also (with change of ending) spature and spatter n.1]

1. A simple implement of wood, ivory, or metal, having a flat elongated form with various modifications of shape and size, used for a variety of purposes:

a. For stirring mixtures (esp. of a medical nature), spreading ointments or plasters, etc.
1525 tr. Jerome of Brunswick's Surg. Civ/2 Take a spatula & styrre all these togeder.....

b. For minor surgical operations or for the medical examination of certain organs.
1684 tr. Bonet's Merc. Compit. ii. 45 This Scab+hath fallen off, by the help onely of a Spatula.....

c. For technical operations of various kinds.
1842 Loudon Suburban Hort. 306 The strip of bark+being raised up+by the spatula of the budding-knife....

(and then goes on to list 4 other meanings including a ferrule, a couple of spoonbills, and use in a combinatory sense)

As for your question, I am tempted to suggest "With a tongue, dear Liza, dear Liza", but I know I'll end up getting spanked with your spatula :)