in NYC, alternate side of the street parking is all the time, (not just for snow)its for street cleaning...

so 2 days of the week (on my block, thursday and friday) all cars have to be moved..(the street need to be clear of parked cars--between 9:30 and 11) one side thursday, one side friday..

these regulations are 'suspended' for religious holidays.. (religious jews, made the arguement, they could not comply, it was interfering with their ability to freely practice their faith-- (since on certain holydays, like on the sabbeth, they can not light a match--(make a spark) so they also can not 'start' a car...)

well, being politically savvy, the holiday/holydays that had 'exemptions' grew... and eventually, some savvy person, demanded the same for 'christian holiday' (all 10 RCatholic 'holy days of obligation')--but really there is no compelling reason why catholics couldn't move a car.. its just no politian wants to be arguing against an organized religion...

the muslim community has in recent years, reached a number large enough to represent a voting 'bloc'-- and they too have gotten polically savy, so now, the last few days of ramadan, (coming soon), and other muslim holidays,(i don't know them, or their signifigance, but i love to hear 'alternate side of the street parking is suspended today' are also 'exempt'--

so slowly but surely, alternate side of the street parking days are being reduced...

I am waiting for the other religious groups--from all over the world, to join in....

sure the streets might be a little dirtier... but parking will be easier..

please note, if you forget to move your car, a $100 parking ticket will be your 'reward'-- and the days and hours of regulation change, from block to block, so you have to construct large mental of maps of where you can park when, or you need to change your schedule, or sit and wait for a space, or sit double parked (un manned double parked cars get tickets too!) for the duration of alternate side of the street..

i get off easy... in many neighborhoods in manhattan, its posted that double and triple fines are in effect.. (so they get $200 or $300 parking tickets!) visitors to my fair city, (if they have ever paid for parking) have been astounded at the cost... but paying for parking is cheaper than 2 tickets--which is how the parking garages stay in business. but i am cheap, i like to park for free.