a tough post to follow, dody. A bad experience no doubt

It was in some ways and it made me dislike faceless corporations. I learned some good lessons, so not an entirely wasted time. I was working two jobs at the time and I eventually quit KFC and did more hours at the cafe. The caff was scrupulously clean, paid more and had a respectful and hardworking atmosphere. That experience particularly highlighted the different working practices of a small locally run business, and a one-size-fits-all, implacable conglomerate. The idea of a seasonal McDonalds is a curious one, being at odds with my image of an entirely inflexible system. I think this image is reinforced by the buildings the US chains house their business in. They are just like the ones in America, which makes them look rather as if they have been carried over by some freak hurricane and plonked in the middle of a 400 year old high street. Down the road from me there is a little cluster of these buildings, a MakkyDs, a KFC and a Blockbuster huddled uncomfortably round a traditional pub, on the end of a lane that runs down to a village green complete with lychgate, squatter terrace and timbered pub. It's all a bit...incongruous?