The way I read the definition, WW, was something like this (and we'll take something slightly less contentious than the existence of God).

Supposing you have read somewhere that somebody has a theory that the Pyramids were built by aliens. I tell you this is nonsense and give various reasons why I think this is extremely unlikely. You are not convinced by my arguments (perhaps because neither of us really knows very much about Egyptology) and therefore conclude that the Pyramids were built by aliens.

It is akin to the mis-step in some people's logic that proving that it is possible that something happened is equivalent to proving that it did happen. For example, someone might argue that it is possible a Roman ship got blown off course and ended up in Central America, and then go on to assume without any proof that this did in fact happen. It is a method of argument that is distressingly frequent, but I have no idea whether there is a special name for this fallacy. If anyone knows perhaps they could tell us.

Bingley

Bingley