Maverick wrote: PS: the house name translates roughly as Cross of the Virgins - the name of the village is the impossible-looking EGLWYSWRW, but try rendering the W as U, and you can see the similarity to BelM's word for Church, thus betraying the Latin root of quite a bit of later Welsh.

You know, I never thought of that. But you're quite right of course. SWMBO and I spent a few days in Wales a couple of years ago and were absolutely stumped trying to pronounce the "Welsh" Welsh place names. Carnaervon and Harlech are fine, but as for the rest .... !

Wales is an absolutely stunning place, easily the most interesting part of Britain, at least for me. While it may have something to do with the number of sheep, I'd prefer to think it was the scenery and the people, who were great. It's certainly the only country I've ever been in where I have picnicked beside a defunct nuclear power station, and the only place in the world I've been to that cooks lamb better than in Godzone.

The language is also very musical. As you may have gathered, we were altogether gob-smacked by the country, and we intend to go back and spend more time there.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...