In reply to:

I never meet anyone called "junior" here. A lot of friends have a family name which is used as a second Christian name, eg William. I don't see many people who have the same Christian names as their father - I bet the post gets a bit complicated in the mornings.

Ditto for me (almost), Jo. Using a grandparent's name as a first name as a mark of respect, or continuing on a parent's name as a middle name is one thing, but in societies where there is free choice, naming your child after yourself seems the height of vanity and/or silliness and the nadir of imagination to me. Sorry if I'm offending anyone here.

I did know one family where father and son were both Murray. When talking about them (but not TO them), the mother would refer to them as "Murray" and "Young Murray".

As for postal problems, just sharing a first name initial would be bad enough. I know another family where mother and three daughters all have two-syllable names beginning with 'S'. All very alliterative, but you wouldn't want to be expecting mail of a private nature.