Speaking of speaking volumes: We were working after school, Friday afternoon...and we worked a long, productive period of time...our second Friday afternoon of after-school sessions. My Dear--it is a rare gem of a teacher who is willing to stay after on a Friday. They will remember you for the rest of their lives, I think. Because so few teachers make it so clear that they care.

MELT--I bid you welcome aBoard, but feel obliged to add this: by and large, we love each other, here; many of us have become friends, both virtually and in real life. We do try to welcome newcomers; but frankly, we don't like ugliness of any kind. (Um--I don't mean to imply that we're perfectly free of it all the time; we're not.) I do realize that sometimes there is teasing here that may appear ugly, but it is done between friends who know that the recipient will take it in the right spirit; and that a newcomer would have no way of knowing the background. And I guess if that upsets a newcomer, we'll just have to keep explaining; I don't think it's realistic to expect a group to constantly be on their guard in case new people might be around; and also, I for one would miss the fun. Quite recently I jumped on a newcomer quite hard, for me, but she had directly insulted someone whom I hold very dear (yours wasn't quite so direct). I tried to get it across that I would welcome sincere interest in information- and fun-exchange, but as far as I know she hasn't posted again, and I do feel bad about that. But I will not sit idly by when my friends are under the gun, and I make no apology for that.
I say all this to you, MELT, not as chastisement--it would also be unrealistic to expect a newcomer to understand all the nuances/ins and outs--but by way of giving information, with a tad of warning in it. We do welcome differences of opinions, truly; but if someone has something ugly to say, then I would ask that it be done by Private Message, not in public, please.