no, tsuwm, my weekly treat is breakfast out, and my eggs are cooked on a flat grill. (as are the bacon rashers, and even muffins, (corn muffins, not english) are toasted on the grill. small coffee shops all have flat grills, and friers (for french fries) almost nothing is cooked in a pan. eggs, pancakes, hash browns, (potatoes), bacon, the whole lot is cooked on the grill.

under the grill is a slide out tray (a salamander) , it is used to melt cheese onto hamburger buns, and such, but its not a hot as the grill. In someplaces it is used to warm the plates!

broiling requires an open flame. either above or below. (wendy's "flame broiled" is redundant)

obviously, you're all too posh! never worked as waitressess or waiters in greasy spoons the whole lot of you.

and yes jo, pancake (sometime, but becoming archaic, Jonnycakes--a contraction of journey cakes) are breakfast food. jonny (or jonhie) cakes are made with corn meal (maize) and there are buttermilk pancakes, which are as scrumptious, but a different texture than, buttermilk biscuits. in the north,they are served with maple syrup.. center states fake maple syrup, in the south, corn syrup or molasses top them. dark corn syrup is very similar to treacle. many places add fruits or nuts to pancakes-- and good ones are still good when cold, and can be eaten out of hand, plain for a mid day snack. bad ones end up something like hard tack!

and i guess its true, there is no such thing as a London broil to be had in London! (my kids are veggan, so family holidays never included steak houses, or even pubs. No one wanted steak and kidney pie, or even micky d's!)
when i went to london children in tow, we ate curry several nights in row--so as not to (have a row)