Is that in a meterological or an oratorical sense ?

I wouls say both, but since the dissolution of our upper house nearly 50 years ago, there hasn't been a forum for open filibustering. What intrigues me is how The Mother of Parliaments, and all her bastard children, have the ability to reduce speakers of prodigious intellect and skill to the level of insult-hurling kindergarten kids.

Max has it right. I do, indeed live in Windy Wellington. I chose my nom-de-bonmot(OK, it's slaughtering French, but this is an English list, n'est-ce pas? because (a) capital has, and has had, so many interesting meanings, and "Kiwi" gives location - head south and turn left at Australia.

I'm rather flattered to have started a thread, when I all I really wanted was some information!

In regard to Max's comments on legislator puerility, I would agree that "kindergarten kids" is an apt description. But being in Parliament in NZ has a number of disadvantages not found elsewhere, which may be the reason for the extra special brand of drivel produced - (a) you can't get elected if you're dead. This is not true in the States; and (b) there are no convenient places such as Knightsbridge for conservative (and Conservative) MPs to nip off to when things get especially fraught for a quick whipround by jackbooted madams. Having said that, many of our MPs give a fairly convincing performance of being dead from the neck up, and we have Helen Clark as PM. So maybe things aren't so bad after all!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...