>mill 2 8
n.
5for L millesimus, thousandth < mille, thousand: cf. CENT6 one tenth of a cent: $.001: a monetary unit used in calculating but not as a coin
Considering the current inflation, who in hell now bothers with mills? I think there used to be some
taxes that were based on them.

permillage - not in my dictionary. Probably a tax accountant’s term.

It turns out that there is another us for permillage - the concentration of alcohol in the blood.
“Record drinker with 8.1 permillage

This is a real case for the Guinness-book of Records. A 30-year old Polish man was recently taken to hospital in the Urban-Krankenhaus in Berlin with an alcohol intoxication of no less than 8.1 permillage.

The man had gone into a coma after drinking a bottle of vodka and he had been taken to hospital in an ambulance. There he was admitted in the intensive care unit and underwent a dialysis. The next morning the alcohol concentration in his blood was still three permillage. I think we can speak of a miracle that this man has lived to talk about these high alcohol concentrations.

perpend 1
n.
5ME perpoynt < MFr parpain < VL *perpannium6 a large stone extending through a wall from one side to the other, used as a binder Also per4pent 73p!nt8

perpend 2
vt., vi.
5L perpendere: see fol.6 [Archaic] to ponder or consider

perspicuous
adj.
5ME, transparent < L perspicuus < perspicere, to see through: see PERSPECTIVE6 clear in statement or expression; easily understood; lucid
per[spi[cu[i[ty 7p%r#spi ky14! tc8 or per[spic$u[ous[ness
n.
per[spic$u[ous[ly
adv.

petechia !8
n.,
pl. 3chi[ae 73c#8 5ModL < It petecchia < L pittacium, label, plaster, patch < Gr pittakion, a writing tablet, slip, letter6 a small hemorrhagic spot in the skin, mucous membrane, etc.
pe[te$chi[al
adj.

petiole
n.
5ModL petiolus < L, little foot, little leg, stalk, dim. < pes, FOOT6
1 Bot. LEAFSTALK
2 Zool. PEDUNCLE (sense 4)

Petigrain
Product Description:
PETIGRAIN Citrus aurantium amara steam distil. leaves of the orange tree, Paraguay. Stimulating to mind and memory, relaxing, balancing, calming, fortifying, helpful in anxiety & tension. Positive effect when people feel sad or disappointed. Slows body & breathing, relaxes muscle spasms. Similarities to Neroli, but less sedative.
ORANGE LEAF: Usually called Petigrain. Leaves, small twigs, and unripe fruit buds distilled together.

petroglyph
n.
5Fr p=troglyphe < Gr petra, rock + glyphc, carving: see GLYPH6 a rock carving, esp. a prehistoric one
pet#ro[glyph$ic
adj.

phaeochrous - Spelling bee gives just word “dusky” as definition. I couldn’t find a more detailed definition.

phenakistoscope - I could not find a definition, but here is a site describing how kids
can make one . Only clue, something about a “Winker”.
http://ds.org/zoom/sci/phenakistascope.txt.html