re:haven't seen kids play marbles, tops, of mumbledy peg for seventy years.

my kids had tops, but didn't play "war" with their tops they way boys did when i was young..

marble are still sold.. (and i have a lovely collection of marbles, including some aggies, all "street finds" --the last one added just a week or two ago..)

kids lives are more controled, and they are less likely to entertain themselves (i don't consider a video game that some one else developed to be self entertainment..)

but kids are kids.. in HS- my son was involved in long term (it went on for weeks) game of hi-tech tag... they used a small plastic (brightly colored) gun, that shot plastic disks about the size of a US nickel..different colors on different days had differing point values (the gun selected the ammo, randomly!) i never knew all the rules, but about 20% of the school kids got involved (eventually, the school administration cracked down, to many plastic disks, and a fear of someone getting their eye shot out...)

and my kids would call dibs, to 'ride shotgun' or to the last piece of candy, or to other silly stuff..as i did, as a child... every parent knows the term.. kids learn it from each other.