I'm looking for two words
1) something that's maybe more specific than 'genre', but maybe a little more broad than 'remake.' 'Retelling' is almost the word.

2) a word describing an partial enumeration of such sets . (This is the main thing I'm interested in.)

Examples of item 1
a. The movie Roxeanne is a retelling of Cyrano Debergerac.
b. The Magnificent Seven is a retelling of The Seven Samurai.

However, I want to include things like:
c. Heist is very similar to The Score is very similar to Oceans Eleven which is a remake of a movie by the same name.
d. The Ring is a remake Ringu.
e. The Prime Gig is vaguely similar to The Grifters is vaguely similar to The Sting. (Connection is a little less firm than the previous cases.)

Possible:
f. Brother Cadfael is kinda similar to The Name of the Rose. (Even more tenuous association.)

The relation COULD BE, BUT NEED NOT BE broad enough to include
g. Cryptonomicon is similar to The Flanders Panel (in that both books describe events that happen in different times but are somehow connected).
h. Is Alien the same story as The Thing?

I'm looking for name-of-relation(A1, A2, ..., An) where Ai is a book or movie and 'name-of-relation' can be 'is kinda similar to' or 'is a remake of'.

Context. I'm trying to look up things that are similar to other things since I'd like to watch those movies with my kids - but I'm not sure what to call the thing I'm looking for. Something like the listing on Amazon where it says, "Customers who bought this, also bought this," except I want a bit of a stronger connection.

Obviously the items in the same sets above are generally in the same genre, but they don't need to be. I don't think The Magnificent Seven is the same genre as The Seven Samurai.

It seems to me the people who like movies would almost certainly have a name for item 2, the list of sets that are similar like this. I asked at a local blockbuster and the guys told me they thought such a thing would be useful, but they didn't think it existed.

k