Hoo boy, the threaded-modesters aren't going to like me for this, 'cause I'm responding to several posts. eta's is the one, however, that I want to keep below for handy ref.

No, nothing in our house has the 24-hr. setting. Whether anything has the capability, I don't know and don't care. There have been VERY few instances in my life when I couldn't tell if it was a.m. or p.m. Heh, I was thinking about my earlier post while I was out; I guess it's pretty obvious that patience is not one of my virtues--at least as long as I don't see the need for it.

Twelve pence/shilling--I nearly put that, because my old friend Philip mourned the loss of the 12-system, for the exact same reason.

Bean: pppptttthhhhhhhhbbbbbbbbb!

Faldage, thanks for the colon info.

WO'N, I figuratively stamp my feet; to me, if you're stomping, you're either dancing or leaving; a person standing in place stamps. And even then, I'm not sure I wouldn't say, "She stamped angrily out of the room".

what other sorts of things spring to mind that use some sense of context to indicate clarity?
Well--emoticons? Also, when my husband says he's going for a ride, I have to look and see whether he's wearing gear for bicycling or motorcycling.

Dang, tsuwm--see what you started??