About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#9716 11/07/00 03:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most of the self-honest people who wander into my courtroom are more interested in mercy than justice

That's what I'd best ask for. Justice would mean that the supplicant gets what he deserves, and in that case there would be hell to pay.

#9717 11/07/00 10:38 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
HTML/HTTP (i.e. The Web) is very much geared up for downloading "little and often". Threaded Mode caters for that scenario better, so in theory at least should provide better performance

I think I'll have to disagree with this. Though the individual pages will load faster than one, the time spent in backing up and loading the next page ten times will take longer than loading one page with ten posts. Another reason the sum of the individual parts is greater than the whole is because all the heading stuff at the top of the page needs to load only once rather than ten times.

As for getting mixed up with the topic, that's why we put a portion of the responded to post at the top of our new post.

#9718 11/08/00 04:48 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Dear me

In reply to:

My concern is that I would greatly regret the loss of the voice of someone like Mr B in this forum, particularly if he felt bound to withdraw by being overwhelmed with sheer quantity of posts.

So kind!

I do seem to have started something. I certainly have no desire to cramp anyone else's style, and have always found the see-sawing between sober fact and outright lunacy one of the charms of the place. I didn't mean it as any sort of plea for people to slow down either. It's just a fact of life that AWAD takes up about three quarters of my time online if not more and there are other corners of cyberspace I want to catch up with occasionally. I'm pleased to see that AWAD loading times have speeded up recently, which makes a big difference. I don't think I'll be disappearing any time soon.

Bingley

Bingley
#9719 11/08/00 07:19 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Sorry Shona, I agree with Jazz, I've tried it and I just can't be bothered with threaded mode - I can always go back to it if I'm losing the plot but I'd rather wait a couple of seconds to see the whole thread loaded up in flat mode.

This may relate to my natural female ability to multi-task. I can find lots of useful ways of using the few seconds that it takes to load a whole thread. I am rarely disorientated as I generally understand which reply relates to which post as I'm used to doing several things at once. For example, I am opening the snail mail, organising packed lunches and balancing on a stool momentarily so I can check the spice cupboard for the spelling of cardomom! Thank goodness for laptops!

#9720 11/08/00 10:32 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
While not claiming to be able to multi-task, I definitely find flat mode superior to threaded mode. Loading messages one by one is agonising and although the initial wait may be long to download 20 in one go, it does save time in the long run. I can generally understand what follows on from what, and only try threaded mode when I get really lost (maybe once every two or three weeks).

I have tried reversing the order posts are shown, but found that the order of the all threads view is also reversed, which means I then have to hunt around to find where the most recent threads are listed rather than the earliest threads.

By the way, am I the only one who finds it confusing that the arrow marked previous thread leads to a later (or more recently posted to) thread?

Bingley

Bingley
#9721 11/08/00 10:42 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I have tried reversing the order posts are shown, but found that the order of the all threads view is also reversed, which means I then have to hunt around to find where the most recent threads are listed rather than the earliest threads.

Yes, this is the problem. I'd like threads listed by most recent and postings with the most recent at the top.

>am I the only one who finds it confusing that the arrow marked previous thread

No, me too, I've given up on the arrows.

>While not claiming to be able to multi-task

Ah, so polite, Mr Bingley.

#9722 11/08/00 10:57 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Ah, so polite, Mr Bingley.

Well, I do try and live up to my namesake's example.

Bingley

Bingley
#9723 11/08/00 11:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I have stayed out of this so far, because it was only
this weekend, after all your-all's comments, that I even found out what flat and threaded modes are.

Mine started off coming up in flat mode (I now realize),
with usually 7 or 8 posts per page, and the most recent at
the top. Not knowing for so long that there was any other
way to look at the threads, I am now so used to this that I find threaded mode not worth bothering to figure out how one thing follows another.

But--about the arrows. I've never had any problem with going to the threads I want. (Keep in mind the static state of my flat mode.) The Forward arrow always takes me
to the next thread listed on the index page for that
category--UNLESS I have made a post.

If I make a post in thread number four, that thread
immediately moves to the number one slot on the index
page. So, when I click the Forward arrow after making a post, I am sent to what is now the number TWO thread--
the one that was number one when I began that category--and if I keep clickiing the forward arrow, I am sent through all of the ones I had already seen, before coming to what
used to be my "next thread". Was that clear at all?

Jo--ability to multi-task. I can find lots of useful ways of using the few seconds that it takes to load a whole thread. Cool! I occasionally do some snail mail
(need to do a lot more--there's quite a pile!), but mostly
I play solitaire! But oh, Jo, she wailed: disorientated???

Now, bingley--you can just stop all that blushing! You are utterly wise, utterly witty, and utterly wonderful, and it is obvious that I am not the only one who thinks so!

#9724 11/08/00 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
aren't there always 10 posts per page in flat mode, no matter how looooooong they are?

#9725 11/08/00 06:48 PM
X
X
you can set the number of posts in flat mode to any number up to 10.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith