Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#94535 02/10/03 12:44 AM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Maybe I'm dense, but the strategy offered by the site tsuwm posted seems without logic. I'll read it carefully again but in the meantime I'd like to post a strategy that is in a large part based on delimiting comments made by contributors to this thread. As given below...

After much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth the prisoners finally realized that their fate was left to the less than exacting craft of Probability Math. And since fractioning a .9999999 likelihood will never reach a certainty of 1, they sighed and voted on what percentage of chance that they would collectively accept against the unpleasant act of being eaten alive and torn limb from limb by prison alligators.

But prison itself wasn't much of lark either so they found a point of convergence that would spring them from jail at the earliest time, while at the same time giving them a 98 per cent chance of not being thrown to the gators. The trigger is the number of trips to the switch room by the most frequent prisoner, the math works out something like this...

The odds of all prisoners being selected at random on the first round of 23 are against selection at about a trillion or so to one.

But surprisingly only 92 random trips to the switch room gives a 94 percent likelihood that everyone has visited the switch room at least once.

As well, after 92 random visits to switch room the chance of one prisoner haven visited the switch room four times was 88 percent likely. But our understandably nervous prisoners weren't much at close gambling, so here is the plan they devised...

The first prisoner to visit the switch room was to leave the switch room with switch (A) in the DOWN position by either pulling it down or leaving it and pulling switch (B). All prisoners were afterwards to pull switch (B) only. Except for the first prisoner to visit the switch room for the fifth time. (This maths out to a 98 percent likelihood that all prisoners have visited the switch room.) Then he is to say to the warden
"EVERYONE HAS VISITED THE SWITCH ROOM" and then throw switch (A) to the UP position.

Why does the prisoner throw the switch to UP after just haven been saved from death by alligators? Well that's a prisoners way of saying...

"UP YOURS WARDEN!".

#94536 02/10/03 10:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

"If it is true, then you will all be set free. If it is false, and somebody has not yet visited the switch room, you will be fed to the alligators."

The warden made a point to include all in the freeing but said only you when refering to the alligators. [shrug-e]

#94537 02/10/03 11:20 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
f it is true, then you will all be set free. If it is false, and somebody has not yet visited the switch room, you will be fed to the alligators."

The warden was talking to all of them when he said that.

The warden meets with 23 new prisoners when they arrive.

#94538 02/10/03 12:08 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
it is true, then you will all be set free. If it is false, and somebody has not yet visited the switch room, you will be fed to the alligators." ~ picky consuelo

The warden was talking to all of them when he said that. ~ faldage

Consuelo, mam. That's why we of the south have the human decency to say "you all". I deduce that the hated warden was a cruel northerner lacking in even the most elementary language training.

#94539 02/10/03 02:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
have the human decency to say "you all"

Which would be all well and good if y'all'd limit it to the plural, of which I've heard it in the singular, too. Mo better we shutn't a gone away from thee/thou. (And folks complain about they in the singular. At least it retains the nominative vs. accusative/dative distinction stead a using only the accusative/dative)

#94540 02/10/03 10:06 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Milo's answer has a sweet reason to it....I vote for it.

My bro couldn't come up with anything, except the probability factor (without Milum's added touch of leaving the A switch in the UP position until one prisoner made his fifth visit to the room).

Is there really a semantics problem with you/you all? No one prisoner is going to want to speak out and find himself the only one thrown to the 'gators; but none but the hardendest of criminals (which they all might be, granted!) would want to proclaim a death sentence on everyone, himself included, either. Yes?

#94541 02/10/03 10:09 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Oops!

I think I had better wait until my know-it-all physicist buddy gets back in town wednesday to check my figuring before I post the supportive math to my solution to the prison puzzle here on Awad and before forwarding it on to the Tapit Bros.

Either these folk's http://randomizer.org research randomizer generator atoms aren't decaying properly, or I have made a slight mistake in my calculations.

Whew! That was close. Twenty-three prisoners thrown to gators because of a misplaced digit. Or two.

The good news is that the low-life, scum-of-the-earth, prisoners might have to stay in jail a tad longer than I originally thought.

#94542 02/10/03 10:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the supportive math

Why settle for a solution that has a finite chance of failing when you can have one that will succeed every time?

#94543 02/11/03 02:34 AM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Why settle for a solution that has a finite chance of failing when you can have one that will succeed every time?

I'm with you. Any bright ideas?

#94544 02/11/03 02:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what's wrong with this picture then, milum?

http://www.sucs.org/~crystal/solution.php

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 197 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith