Next Thread
Print Thread
#94497 02/04/03 02:47 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Is there a linguistic connection between "lime" the citrus fruit and "lime", Ca(OH)-subscript-2, also known as the stone we sweeten our soil with or put on dirt roads in the summer to extract water from the air and keep the dust down?

#94498 02/04/03 03:01 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
According to my dictionary, there are two "lime" words. The mineral product
is from a Germanic root, the fruit is from an Arabic root.
As I have previously posted, first European to learn cure of scurvy was
Jacques Cartier, whose whole crew on second voyage developed scurvy about
1550, and was shown cure by an Indian boy he had taken back to France from
virst trip, who showed him tea made from spruce tips was antiscorbutic.Sadly
this was not learned from Cartier's memooirs until modern times.

#94499 02/04/03 03:35 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Pulled this up from NODE; Multiple origins seem to be the case
LIME1
noun (also quicklime) [mass noun] a white caustic alkaline substance consisting of calcium oxide, which is obtained by heating limestone and combines with water with the production of much heat.n
(also slaked lime) a white alkaline substance consisting of calcium hydroxide, made by adding water to quicklime.
n(in general use) any of a number of calcium compounds, especially calcium hydroxide, used as an additive to soil or water.
n archaic birdlime.

verb [with obj.]
1 treat (soil or water) with lime to reduce acidity and improve fertility or oxygen levels.n [often as adj.] (limed) give (wood) a bleached appearance by treating it with lime: limed oak dining furniture.

2 archaic catch (a bird) with birdlime.
DERIVATIVES
limy adjective (limier, limiest).
ORIGIN Old English līm, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch lijm, German Leim, also to loam.

LIME2 noun
1 a rounded citrus fruit similar to a lemon but greener, smaller, and with a distinctive acid flavour.n [mass noun] a drink made from or flavoured with lime juice: lager and lime.

2 (also lime tree) the evergreen citrus tree which produces this fruit, widely cultivated in warm climates.
• Citrus aurantifolia, family Rutaceae.

3 [mass noun] a bright light green colour like that of a lime: [as modifier] dayglo orange, pink, or lime green.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from French, from modern Provençal limo, Spanish lima, from Arabic līma; compare with lemon.

LIME3 (also lime tree)
noun a deciduous tree with heart-shaped leaves and fragrant yellowish blossom, native to north temperate regions. The pale timber is used for carving and cheap furniture. Also called linden.
• Genus Tilia, family Tiliaceae: many species, including the widely grown hybrid common lime (T. × europaea), and the small-leaved lime (T. cordata), which dominated the pre-Neolithic forests of much of lowland England.
ORIGIN early 17th cent.: alteration of obsolete line, from Old English lind (see linden).

LIME4 W. Indian
verb [no obj., with adverbial] sit or stand around talking with others: boys and girls were liming along the roadside as if they didn't have anything to do.

noun an informal social gathering characterized by semi-ritualized talking.
ORIGIN origin uncertain; said to be from Limey (because of the number of British sailors present during the Second World War), or from suck a lime, expressing bitterness at not being invited to a gathering.

#94500 02/05/03 02:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
One of the very earliest questions asked here was about the word limose. I don't think we ever got a good definition.

#94501 02/05/03 02:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
limose?

Geol. and Bot. rare.
Pertaining to, of the nature of mud; growing in mud.

[OED2]

#94502 02/05/03 02:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, tsuwm! I remember, I think, that he gave a context that somewhat indicated this. Hartnett, I think it was.

#94503 02/05/03 09:04 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Oh well, I see tsuwm's back basking in the limelight ...

- Pfranz

#94504 02/06/03 12:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
limn

>from the AHD:

limn:

PRONUNCIATION: lim [my edit: lime]
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: limned, limn·ing (limnng), limns
1. To describe. 2. To depict by painting or drawing. See synonyms at represent.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English limnen, to illuminate (a manuscript), probably alteration (influenced by limnour, illustrator) of luminen, from Old French luminer, from Latin luminre, to illuminate, adorn, from lumen, lumin-, light. See leuk- in Appendix I.
OTHER FORMS: limner (limnr) —NOUN

*many of the quick defititions of limn give "to outline" as the meaning.

[the paste deleted all the hash marks and their letters, and I had to put the letters back in. The "U"s in lumen and all it's forms are the ong yoo (hey, that has to be a word wentworth, how else to say it and not be another word? ), and the "i" in lim is long...lime]

So in sports where you outline select portions of the field with lime (in baseball, for instance), technically you're limning the batter's box with lime. However, it seems lime has taken over as the verb in modern usage, so we now just say "lime the batter's box", and the word lime takes over both functions as verb and noun.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith