Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Hey wordwind, glad you joined in. I also love thinking about the minds of those who lived at other times, how their reality was/is so different from ours, and how they have influenced our 'present'. All of us linked together through webs of time and space...

But isn't It (the big *It/Creation/the Universe, including all our planets and moons) always evolving/devolving? And aren't we as humans (sentient beings) always *limited to what we (collectively/individually) know at any specific point in time? Especially now, when we think we know so much (HA!)I don't believe we will ever get there (to the Knowing) empirically (though it won't surprise any of you to know I'm sure one could get there lyrically! :)....

So, you guys can entertain yourselves doing the math (oh, and I'll enjoy watching you all and learning beside you).

To me its just Shakti (female, creative, nurturing force) dancing for her beloved Shiva (male, unknowable, unmoveable power)....

And yes Faldage, evolution is so misunderstood. And it is certainly not geared to the 'fittest', rather, it advantages the 'fit'...over time....

#92484 01/20/03 08:18 PM
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Arrrrgh!

Unmoveable!?!

Immovable. There, that's better....

#92485 01/20/03 08:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
an old Irish folk song:

Risin’ of the Moon (1:53)

“Oh then tell me Sean O’Farrell tell me why you hurry so”
“hush me bhuachaill hush and listen” and his cheeks were all a glow
I bear orders from our Captain get ye ready quick and soon
for the pikes must be together by the Risin’ of the Moon

CHORUS
By the Risin’ of the Moon, By the Risin’ of the Moon
for the pikes must be together by the Risin’ of the Moon

“Oh then tell me Sean O’Farrell where the gatherin’ is to be”
“In the old spot by the river right well known to you and me
one word more for Signal Token whistle up the marchin tune
with your pike upon your shoulder by the Risin of the Moon

with your pike upon your shoulder by the Risin of the Moon

Out of many a mud walled cabin eyes were watchin through the night
many a manly heart was throbbin’ o’re the blessed morning light
murmers passed along the valleys like the banshee’s lonely croon
and a thousand pikes were flashin by the Risin of the Moon

and a thousand pikes were flashin by the Risin of the Moon

Down there by that singin river where the gatherin’ was to be
high above their shinin’ weapons hung their own beloved green
death to every foe and traitor forward strike the marchin’ tune
and hurrah my boy for freedom ‘tis the Risin’ of the Moon

‘Tis the Risin’ of the Moon “Tis the Risin of the Moon
and hurrah my boy for freedom ‘tis the Risin’ of the Moon

#92486 01/21/03 02:13 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear milum, forgive me for a diversion. As well as the size illusion of
Sun going down, there is the mysterious green flash just after sun disappears.
There are quite a few URLs about it, but none of the pictures in them look like
what I remember seeing so often on the troopship heading for the Philippines.
I'd be interested to hear other members recollections of this phenomenon.

#92487 01/21/03 02:25 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
...the mysterious green flash just after sun disappears

Not the name of an obscure superhero but indeed a recognized phenomenon. I hate to sound like a broken record (how many young'uns out there have ever heard a broken record?!) but Scientific American did an article on that too, I would guess ten to twenty years ago. It even had a full-color picture of it on the cover!

Edit: And here's the latest Scientific American squib on the subject:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T25E56923

Note the distortions of perceived time:
"(We also call interested readers' attention to "The Green Flash," by D. J. K. O'Connell, in Scientific American, January 1960, pp. 112-122.)"
"Ten or twenty years ago," he says...right!

#92488 01/21/03 10:03 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Before reading this thread and the links I hadn’t thought about it but had assumed the moon illusion was due to refraction. So this was all new and fascinating stuff, for which many thanks. Having read and reread the links I think I grasp how and why the mind reacts as it does but the detailed explanations were clumsy and hard work to get through.

The points that wwh raised are answered there however; a camera does not make the same error as the eye/mind combination and different people see the illusion differently because their minds are fooled to differing degrees.

Worrying to hear that the same phenomenon has probably contributed to air and road accidents though.

#92490 01/21/03 05:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I too learned (in the dimly remembered past) that the different size (and color) was due to refraction by the additional layers of atmosphere. I never had any reason to think otherwise until now.

#92491 01/21/03 06:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If it were refraction, it would shrink in the vertical axis and do nothing in the horizontal.

#92492 01/21/03 10:11 PM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Green Flash

For the most part the following is in agreement with the URL found by wofahulicodoc. But it extends the reasoning and elaborates on some additional points that might be of general interest.

(From the book Color and Light in Nature by David K, Lynch and William Livingston.) Extracted and paraphrased below...

***Contrary to popular opinion, green flashes are quite common, especially over water. Indeed they happen to some degree every time the sun sets (or rises). The difficulty is in observing them. They last only for a second or two and they happen when the sun's light is rapidly fading. If we look at the sun's disk directly, our eyes are likely to be dazzled and there is a risk of missing the smaller green flash just above, before the solar disk goes dark.

*** Observing green flashes at sunrise is more difficult. It is hard to determine the exact location on the horizon where the sun will rise. The green flashes first, then the sun rises red beneath. So if you see the edge of the rising sun first you've missed the flash. Turn the boat around and head for home.

*** (Contradicting wofahulicodoc's URL) "...binoculars or a small telescope may be helpful. A setting sun presents no danger to the eyes."

*** The duration of the green flash depends in part on the rate at which the sun sets. During summer at high latitudes, the sun approaches the horizon at a grazing angle and passes below the horizon so slowly that the green flash may last for several seconds. During Admiral Bird's expedition to Little America in 1929, the green flash was observed off and on between irregular ice floes for a period of 35 minutes.

*** The green flash occurs because of dispersion in the atmosphere. Since the index of refraction depends on wavelength, all images passing through the atmosphere are dispersed vertically. Near the horizon, the apparent sun is composed of a continuum of such images, each at its own wavelength and location. Refraction is greatest for the shortest wave lengths, so that the blue image of the sun is highest in the sky. As the total amount of dispersion is much less than the diameter of the sun the images overlap except for the extreme upper and lower edges. The lower part of the sun is red for the same reason that the upper part is green: dispersion.

*** Recent work on green flashes shows then to be more complicated than first thought...

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith