Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#92186 01/15/03 05:35 PM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Going back to finish the story behind the weaponise thread, the guys with the ricin apparently went to Manchester and, as a result of ‘intelligence’, the police went to arrest what they were told was one guy. Turned out there were three one of whom broke free, got hold of a carving knife, killed one policeman and injured three others before being subdued. Seems the one who died was a detective and they do not usually wear body armour. I guess had there been just the one he wouldn’t have got into the action.

This word 'intelligence' seems misapplied sometimes.

#92187 01/15/03 06:31 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In this story "intelligence" was a buzzword for "information". I can well imagine that the
average Brit must bitterly regret the influx of so many bad eggs into UK.

#92188 01/16/03 08:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I heard about that on the news, dxb--sad. But what I'd like to know is how the spy community came to use the word intelligence, meaning, at least some of the time, secret information. I suppose I can see it if you see one meaning of 'intelligence' as 'knowledge of facts', but. It still strikes me as odd, given the much wider use of the term in a different way.

#92189 01/17/03 08:40 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In Jane Austen's novels, intelligence has its present-day meaning of mental ability, but it also meant news. For example:

"Are you well, my Emma?" was Mrs. Weston's parting question.
"Oh! perfectly. I am always well, you know. Be sure to give me intelligence of the letter as soon as possible."

Emma

Bingley

Bingley
#92190 01/17/03 10:27 AM
R
addict
addict
R
I can well imagine that the average Brit must bitterly regret the influx of so many bad eggs into UK.

I am sure that in Britain (as in many other countries besides) there were plenty of bad eggs there to start with. Terrorism is a personal philosophy - not a national one. These terrorists were Algerian but they number a few of the total population. In the bloody civil war in Algeria which still rages after more than a decade and which receives little or no mention in the press ordinary civilians are still massacred at the hands of their 'countrymen' not in the name of terrorism but to control power. Their tactics are terror so this bungs them in with the rest of the world's terrorists. The answer to this perpetual strife is not simple and is definitely not 'bomb the hell out of the country'. This will affect the ordinary person more than it does the terrorist. And this rationale applies to all countries - including Iraq. No, most of all Iraq.

#92191 01/18/03 12:55 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
The answer to this perpetual strife is not simple and is definitely not 'bomb the hell out of the country'. This will affect the ordinary person more than it does the terrorist. And this rationale applies to all countries - including Iraq. No, most of all Iraq.

Gosh Rubrick it's not like we're firebombing Dresden. We (The US and Great Britain) have no desire to colonize. If you lived in Iraq without hope under a madman who rules by a reign of abject terror would you not like the steel boot of tyranny removed from your country's head?

#92192 01/20/03 03:05 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
would you not like the steel boot of tyranny removed from your country's head?

[leaping-in-e] Um...no. Not at any cost, anyway.

Besides which, I tend to believe it ain't up to the rest of the world to leap into other countries and tell them how to run things. Everyone sees things differently. If Iraqis are happy with the way things are in Iraq, who are the States and the UK to tell Iraq they're wrong?

Besides....Reigns of terror don't last. The people get fed up with them and deal with them in a nation-specific appropriate manner. Outside influences are unable to do this because they just don't understand the culture of the places they are determined to "fix."

Or something like that.

#92193 01/20/03 04:15 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
If Iraqis are happy with the way things are in Iraq, who are the States and the UK to tell Iraq they're wrong?

Think. The Iraquis have no way to choose happy. God bless you in your innocence.
Milo.

#92194 01/20/03 09:40 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Gosh Rubrick it's not like we're firebombing Dresden. We (The US and Great Britain) have no desire to colonize. If you lived in Iraq without hope under a madman who rules by a reign of abject terror would you not like the steel boot of tyranny removed from your country's head?

Milum,

1. It may be worse than firebombing Dresden. We have yet to see and undoubtedly be proved right.
2. I never mentioned colonisation. But puppet government seems more apt.
3. I don't live in Iraq and neither do you so why are you asking me? It is an empty question not even worthy of debate because we have no idea what it is like living in such conditions. Why don't you ask the Iraqis what they think? If they are happy with their lot then what's the problem? If they are not then let them sort it out for themselves.
Speaking of madmen ruling with abject terror let me tell you a story about a young lad from Texas who became the most powerful leader of the world without being elected by a mandate from the masses and who used a single event to trigger a draconian crackdown on naturalised citizens in his own country and to attack countries he just didn't like and which had nothing to do with this event.

Hmmmm..... Kettle. Pot. Black. Kettle. Pot. Black.

#92195 01/20/03 10:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is it just me, or is this thread treading dangerous ground? I don't think we can solve the problems of the world here, so maybe we should just let this thread sink. Words, anyone?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,381
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 346 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,568
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith