Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#89982 12/19/02 03:47 PM
C
cosmo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Check http://www.mentalfloss.com/archives/archive015.htm.

(link updated 12/23 to match archive on site)

Whod've thunk that Noah Webster, someone revered by English teachers (when I grew up anyway) as having crafted the first American dictionary, had such radical changes in mind for our language? I give the whole thing "thums down."

#89983 12/19/02 03:57 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Simplification of spelling seems a good idea, until you think about the impossibility of
getting it accepted. It would be interesting to see how many of Webster's suggestions
for simplified spelling are still in use.

#89984 12/20/02 10:19 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Radical approaches to language change are doomed to failure in a free and democratic society. Webster is one of very many more or less influential people who have advocated change (cf G.B.Shaw, for instance.)
The only way change has come about has been from the bottom up - people start to use different spellings (and ascribe different meanings, for that matter) which become accpeted, first in a small area - geographically or culturally - or even vocationally - and then spread to a wider public.
You USns have dropped redundant second vowels, for instance, and it is spreading over here. We have two acceptable spellings of "Program/me" over here, depending on whether it is computer-speak or theatre-speak. It won't be long before the final "-me" is rarely seen in any context.

So long as "sox" never becomes an acceptable alternative to "socks", I can live with the changes, myself!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have always been amused by the pretentiousness of the French lawmakers who seem to really believe they can stop the tide of language change in the estuaries.

TEd
#89986 12/22/02 05:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I give the whole thing "thums down."

Is that in the Siskel and Ebert to a movie cents or the Roman Emperor to a Gladiator sense?

Germans set about doing the same thing several years ago. Like you, I am amazed by the willingness of an entire population to go along with that kind of authority, or to establish such an authority to begin with. Not opposed to it, I guess, just surprised.

But I did like the word for the phenomenon: Rechtschreibereform.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>Germans set about doing the same thing several years ago. Like you, I am amazed by the willingness of an entire population to go along with that kind of authority, or to establish such an authority to begin with. Not opposed to it, I guess, just surprised.

Ah, but isn't that the famed, stereotypical German mindset?
Some cousins of mine have grandparents who run a pub in Denmark, close to the German border. They(the grandparents) remarked that when it comes to closing time, the general rule was, ask the Germans to leave, they wouldn't. Tell them to leave, they would. The reverse applied to the Danish clientele.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As someone here said some time back, anal retentive does not have a hyphen, it has a colon. I consider the Germans to be right up there in anal:retentiveness.

TEd
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...if it's anal and retentive it durn well better have a colon. Better get it scoped every five years, too.

Don't blame me, I'm only a cardiologist

C
cosmo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
If used as an adjective to describe a type of surgery in which a portion is removed, however, a semicolon is preferred.

Sorry, someone had to say it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 423 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith