Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89925 12/18/02 10:15 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Long, long time ago during the period of life in which I threw myself mightily into aerobics, my pulse rate was about 50 beats a minute when I was resting. My aerobics instructor told me that was a sign of health.

Was she correct?

#89926 12/18/02 11:04 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Absolutely, so long as the rate increased a reasonable amount when you exercised. I used to have fun with the Army doctors. On physical, they would take my pulse, which would be around 58 to 60 or thereabouts. Then they would have me hop on one foot to see if pulse increased excessively. Mischievously I would inspire with epiglottis fixed, making my pulse actually slow noticeably. None of them ever caught on. If they had had a bit more time, when I had to breathe, pulse would have gone up
more than it would have had I not held my breath.

#89927 12/19/02 12:11 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
50 beats a minute when I was resting...was a sign of health.

Second the motion. Provided it comes from being well-conditioned rather than from other, pathological, causes. It's a highly positive survival trait. Think of it in athletes' terms: when you want to increas;e your activity your body needs to supply the tissues with more oxygen-carrying blood. That's known as "increasing the cardiac output," which is generally good (up to a point). There are only two ways to do it: make each stroke bigger, or make more of them. Making the heart bigger, if carried to the extreme, translates as "enlarged heart," which is not so good, leaving increasing the heart rate as the better alternative.

Now if your baseline heart rate is 75 and with effort you raise it to 150, your cardiac output has doubled, which is fine for your purpose. But when by dint of hard work and effective training you get your baseline down to 30, and now with effort you get it up to 150, your output has gone up by a factor of five, which is much better, and so you can do even more, or run even faster, or last even longer.

That's "why" people in great shape have low resting pulses, and world-class athletes like runners get them down to the forties and thirties.

Bill:

I, too, had fun with my Army induction doctors. Or tried to. When the stethoscope was placed on my chest, I held my breath, so he didn't hear anything. Didn't help. The chart entry said "normal breath sounds," and in I went nonetheless.

I ran into some other Army physicians later on who had all kinds of interesting stories to tell, about things like youngsters passing the induction physical with arms withered by polio, and other equally glaring idiocies. How we ever won the war is sometimes hard to understand. Oh yeah, in Vietnam we didn't actually, did we.

And yes, I was an Army Doctor myself for two years, so I can make as many disparaging remarks as I please.
--s/Wofahulicodoc, CAPT MC

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith