About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
history written by fiction writers of insight and genius

Well, if we're speaking in this nuance of genre, then don't miss Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels, his brilliant historical novel examining the Battle of Gettysburg (US Civil War) from the Southern perspective.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, interestingly enough, his son Jeff has followed in the late great's footsteps, and has several novels out.

But I'm really gonna talk about one I just finished reading, Ruled Brittania, by Harry Trutledove. I know there are people here who think that HT is a hack writer, and some of his stuff is not as good. But Ruled Brittania is absolutely superb. It deals with an "Elizabethan" England where good Queen Bess is locked into the Tower by Isabella and Albert, who jointly rule England after the successful conquest of that fair country by the legions on the Great Armada.

I willnot reveal the plot, but will tell you that Turtledove can write a Shakespeare play just as well as the Bard could. Every memorable Shakespeare line and many not so memorable are woven into the conversations of the characters, making the England of that era come alive on the pages.

It's a must read for anyone who loves or wants to learn more about Shakespeare. I oculd not recommend it more highly.

TEd

TEd
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Top of my list:
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Though origionally sold as a children's book in the UK, it is now widely recognised as a book to be enjoyed on all different levels. The author calls it fantasy-realism and it's a must. In fact, I'd be shocked stunned and deeply disturbed if you haven't heard of it as it's supposed to be pretty widely marketed in the US, though I gather with a smaller following than in the UK.
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
This is probably quite a well known book but is nevertheless very good. It explores ideas about philosophy and spirituality in the form of a fable - very thought provoking. I also recommend some of his other books such as The Devil and Miss Prym and Manual of the Warrior of Light.
The Life of Pi by Yan Martel
This book was the winner of the Booker Prize this year in the UK. It's quite interesting, again going into ideas of philosophy and religion but also a darn good adventure story, about a boy who becomes stranded on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger. I think for some it may take a bit of getting in to but I soon found it hard to put down.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bonz, have you read Sabriel and Lirael by Garth Nix? (an Aussie) great stuff, better than the Pullman in my mind. a new one, Abhorsen, comes out this February. can't wait!

formerly known as etaoin...
#89750 12/25/02 02:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Strunk and White*'s The Elements of Style.

____
*E.B. White, he who wrote Charlotte's Web. Also worth reading.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A book of Christmas stories by John B Keane "An Irish Christmas Feast" came out recently. This amazing writer was called the Neil Simon of Irish playwrites. His short stories are humerous, sad, lively, illumination and fun to read. Wonderful descriptions of places, amazing exposition of character...and the short stories will give you a taste for the plays. The stories are an excelelnt exposition of how to use everyday life and weave it into wonderful stories.
Merry Christmas and happy reading in the New Year.

#89752 12/25/02 10:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Strunk and White*'s The Elements of Style.

Here we go again...

#89753 12/26/02 10:36 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My daughter gave me a copy of "Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew" by Ursula K. Le Guin for Christmas. I have always loved her writing and the title has me ROTFLMAO. I'll get back to you on this after I've spent some time with it.

#89754 12/26/02 05:06 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I recived a book called 'The Art and Craft of Writing Poetry' a while back, it was facinating to read but I found it gave me writer's block for ages afterwards - be wary not to get bogged down in technicalities.

etaoin: I saw those books in the shops and heard they are quite good, they keep getting sold out, but at least I've ordered Sabriel.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Westlake is great and if you like him, try Elmore Leonard ie Get Shorty! Westlake wrote a very dark book called "The Job" which is also worth looking for.

For American writers; How about Mark Twain - I think he is underrated. For the cowboy genre - Louis Lamour. Lamour has some historical novels and a collection of "1930's" short stories which are great fun.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith