Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89689 12/18/02 02:22 PM
"Now that's a neat phrase, the sort of mellifluous gem that generated my adolescent infatuation with Allemanic."

My infatuation with all things Germanistik began in adolescence and continues to this day. Hell, now I'm being PAID for it. The Alemanni, by the way, had some pretty cool stuff, judging by the books I catalog.

#89690 12/18/02 02:53 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
From www.word-detective.com
ear Word Detective: A fellow co-worker and I are discussing the proper pronunciation and
spelling of the elusive "kattywampus." We desperately need help to resolve this perplexing
problem. -- Alissa and Jenifer, via the internet.

Desperately? You "desperately" need the spelling and pronunciation? Have the two of you
been cornered in a broom closet by a ferocious spelling bee? Oh well, mine not to reason
why, I suppose. Besides, it sounds as though you folks are doing a bang-up job of wasting
company time, and I'm always up for that.

Unfortunately, and I say this with all the passion of a dedicated slacker, there is no answer to
your question, because there is no standardized spelling of "kattywampus," which is also often
rendered as "cattywampus," "caddywompous" and "catawampus" (as the Oxford English
Dictionary seems to prefer). As for pronunciation, if the choice is between "catty" and "katy"
(as in the name "Katy"), I'd go with the short "a" of "catty" or "caddy." The "wampus" part
seems to be most often pronounced "WAHM-puhs."

Since we're still on our extended coffee break, I'll take this opportunity to answer the question
you folks didn't ask, namely what "catawampus" (as I'll spell it) actually means. Once again,
however, the answer is not simple because the word actually has two quite distinct meanings.
A "catawampus" can be a fierce, imaginary animal, the sort of vicious critter that jumps you in
the woods shortly before you're never seen again. But "catawampus" can also mean "askew"
or "out of whack," as in "Larry's elopement with Eloise knocked Cindy's wedding plans all
catawampus." Neither meaning can be definitively traced, but "catawampus" in the
eat-you-alive sense may well be a variant on the American folk term "catamount," short for
"catamountain," or mountain lion.

The "askew" sense of "catawampus" is a real puzzler. The first element of the word, "cata,"
may be related to "cater," also found in the related word "catercorner" (or, as many folks
know it, "cattycorner" or "kittycorner"). "Cater" in these words comes from the French
"quatre," or "four," and "catercornered" originally just meant "four-cornered." Today
"catercorner" means that two things are diagonally across from each other. The "wampus"
part may have come from the Scots word "wampish," meaning "to wriggle or twist," which
would certainly seem to fit with "catawampus" meaning "askew" or "crooked."

#89691 12/18/02 04:11 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The "askew" sense of "catawampus" is a real puzzler. The first element of the word, "cata,"
may be related to "cater," ... from the French "quatre," or "four," and "catercornered" originally just meant "four-cornered."

I wonder if the Greek "cata-" could have crept in somewhere too. That would be cata- (opposite is "ana-") meaning destruction/tearing down, as in catastrophe and catabolism. Or is this just convergent evolution?

#89692 12/30/02 10:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ommigosh, Connie! Look what I found while perusing the archives. A catawampus thread started by Bingley in July, 2000! :

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=3495

#89693 12/30/02 11:44 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I tried the URL in Bingley's post, and it wouldn't work. I noticed a typo "wotd" I changed
that to "word" and got the URL, but with message "Page expired". Alas. I wonder if Bingley
copied the URLthe hard way. I always use edit,copy....edit,paste.

#89694 12/30/02 11:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
actually, it's not the "wotd" that's the problem; it's double http:'s...

try this:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19981015

formerly known as etaoin...
#89695 12/30/02 11:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

formerly known as etaoin...
#89696 01/07/03 04:42 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I wonder if Bingley
copied the URLthe hard way. I always use edit,copy....edit,paste.

Bingley never does anything the hard way if he can avoid it.

Bingley

Bingley
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith