Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wow, can I have your autograph?

- Pfranz

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
two groups... eighteen people... quick, what's wrong with this picture?!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I cannot believe that the Nebraska study was even published with only 18 people in the study. Amazing.

And down at Duke where some researcher did a study of 150 people on low-fat v. Atkins' diet, even that researcher admitted that 150 was too low of a number from which to draw scientifically sound conclusions. Not that conclusions are given much weight, it seems to me, with studies controverting previous studies all over the place.

However, I honestly think wwh has made the most telling point:

If hospitals are run on coffee, then there sure as heck doesn't seem to be much real danger in caffeine.

#89637 12/18/02 12:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Water on the brain, perhaps?

TEd
#89638 12/18/02 04:22 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R

Nein, nein - dere ist notsing wrong vith dis!

#89639 12/18/02 04:26 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

Nein, nein - dere ist notsing wrong vith dis!

Rhubarb, we can always count on you to send us, tally-ho!, to a new point of view!

#89640 12/18/02 04:35 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Remember Steve Allen's oldie about "you-supply-the-answer,I'll-give-you-the-question"?
(sample answer: "UCLA"; sample question: "What do you see when the smog lifts?")

One of my favorites answers is "9-W".
(Edit: 9-W is a major road up the west side of the Hudson River from NYC to the Catskill Mountains. Indeed
it was the way to get there for summer vacations etc. until the Thruway was built.)

So: What's the question?

(answer in I&A "answers to questions" thread)

B
old hand
old hand
B
> Two groups were compared--urinalysis and maybe blood tests, too, of caffeine drinkers and water/juice drinkers. Results: both groups were pretty much equally hydrated with the water/juice people doing a bit better, but not enough to make waves.

I think caffeine promotes urine formation somewhat which would explain the differences. I don't think the way caffeine affects the body's hydration should be the major worry though, perhaps more its affect on the stomach and one's sleep. In my eyes caffeine should be classed in the same league as cocaine and amphetamines for it is a stimulant. Depending on dosage it has similar effects to the 'Class A' drugs and it is by no means less dangerous( http://www.pe2000.com/caffeine.htm
It is the perfect drug to exploit workers, keeping people awake and alert for long hours of overtime. Embedded in a long history of colonial domination and slavery it has been very profitable and does not threaten the fabric of our profit-driven society.
A bitter white alkaloid, (C8H10N4O2), mainly derived from tea or coffee, its the world's number three drug and is the number one stimulant. It is the only drug (except perhaps cigs) that has attained a socially and economically sanctioned space in the standard working day, and is even given out for free, which says a lot about its power.
Brown roasted bean water doesn't sound that appealing to most children and the bitter liquid really is an acquired taste, yet more people have to have the stuff more often than heroin. Children, I guess, just become accustomed to the double-whammy of sugar and caffeine at a young age through cola drinks before graduating to coffee or tea.
Starbucks and other such firms have made the habit of coffee intake into something close to a religous ritual, where the addictted return to the same shrine everyday for their morning 'prayer' before the day starts. Strange world.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith