Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#88931 12/07/02 02:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was doing the WSJ weekend crossword puzzle yesterday; the clue was: Where dentists work and the answer was filling station.

This got me to thinking about filling station and gas station (probably petrol station in the UK.) Is there a regional difference among these three terms? Are there other generic terms for where one goes to refuel her auto? Does anyone use refueling station?

TEd

TEd
#88932 12/07/02 02:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I hear 'gas station,' 'filling station,' and 'service station' around here, but most often 'service station' even though the services have pretty much died out.

#88933 12/07/02 02:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow! haven't heard filling station in a long time. That's what my Dad calls it. takes me right back to my childhood.
usually it's gas station or service station these days.

formerly known as etaoin...
#88934 12/07/02 06:05 PM
M
addict
addict
M
The earliest drive in facilities for gasoline used to be called "filling stations" east of the Rockies and "service stations" west of Rockies. Why so and when the terms merged into the generic service station, I dont know. Have also heard them referred to as petrol pumps or simply gas stations.

#88935 12/08/02 05:55 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Petrol station or gas station in the Zild. Filling station would be understood if used within context, but filling station can also be used for a place where pretty much anything is bulk filled, including flagons full of beer. Pretty much the same thing here in Britland, too, I think.

- Pfranz

#88936 12/09/02 02:00 AM
D
addict
addict
D
In typical Oz style, we have the Servo. Most other terms are uncommon.

#88937 12/09/02 04:41 AM
L
L
I'm usually west of the mississippi and I say gas station most often, unless I'm paying way too much for milk at the same time and then I call it a Convenience store.

#88938 12/09/02 05:30 AM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> In typical Oz style, we have the Servo. Most other terms are uncommon.

In what part of Oz do you refer to them as "servos"? I use "petrol station" or "service station". Although, as someone pointed out, "service station" is an ironic term in these days of self service.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88939 12/09/02 06:04 AM
D
addict
addict
D
In what part of Oz do you refer to them as "servos"?

In the 20-30 years part. And in Adelaide.

#88940 12/09/02 08:51 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Thinking about it I reckon I would say:

"I need some petrol, I'm off to the garage."

"Which one?"

"I'll go to the Shell/Esso/Total (whatever) garage."

On a Motorway I would refer to the Motorway Services or perhaps Motorway Service Station. They are rest stops with eating facilities, shops etc as well as petrol.

I would'nt speak of petrol station or filling station, the context would make it clear I was going to the garage for petrol. I am making this personal here because maybe younger drivers or drivers from other parts of the UK have different usages. We have absorbed so much Australian and American phraseology, some appealing some not.

The word station, I think, we reserve pretty much for train and bus stations and until relatively recently it would have been only trains. Buses would be found at the bus depot.

#88941 12/09/02 09:40 PM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> Thinking about it I reckon I would say:
>
> "I need some petrol, I'm off to the garage."

Good point. We would also use the term "garage" here for a petrol station.

> On a Motorway I would refer to the Motorway Services or perhaps Motorway Service Station. They are
> rest stops with eating facilities, shops etc as well as petrol.

We would call them "truck stops" or "road houses".

> We have absorbed so much Australian and American phraseology, some appealing some not.

What Australian phraseology have you absorbed over there? And how could any of it not be appealing?!

> The word station, I think, we reserve pretty much for train and bus stations and until relatively recently
> it would have been only trains. Buses would be found at the bus depot.

Agreed, in part. We would refer to the place where a train stops as a "train station". However, a bus stops at a bus stop. A bus depot is where the buses stop overnight, sometimes called a terminus as well.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88942 12/10/02 10:16 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
What Australian phraseology have you absorbed over there? And how could any of it not be appealing?!

Some examples:

Aggro; Amber fluid; back of beyond; barbie; booze; chook; deli; cream (the other team); dog (Woman viewed as unattractive); dag; knocked back (refused); plonk; prezzie; rellie; stickybeak (I’ve only heard this once or twice, but like it very much for its imagery, intend to encourage it).

Some of these have been around so long they are most probably thought of as English English. The level of appeal is subjective and up to the individual to decide for himself.

a bus stops at a bus stop. A bus depot is where the buses stop overnight, sometimes called a terminus as well.

Well, yeah, agreed a bus stops at a bus stop, lives at a depot, and we do use terminus. In the UK if the word station is used on its own, “I’m off to the station now”, then the train station is meant. I don’t think we often use the two words together, we would, however, speak of the railway station.

#88943 12/10/02 11:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooooh-eeeee-ooooh! I just used "back of beyond" in another post.

#88944 12/10/02 01:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I saw that! The synchronicity Zeitgeist is alive!

#88945 12/10/02 02:50 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
dxb's analysis holds for the northern counties of England as well, so far as I'm aware. (although Yorkshire people probably say something else, just to be different )

"Bus Stop" is the place along the route where you flag a bus down; "Bus Station" is the main place where you find buses in large numbers (well - that's the theory rather than the fact ) and where you can change easily (??) from one route to another.

Where I live now, we rarely use "station" by itself, because the trains and the buses are stationed fairly near to each other, and confusion might occur if we didn't specify which.
However, if someone were to say just "station", I, and I think most of my fellow citizens, would assume "train" rather than "bus".

And we usually say "garage" round here, to indicate the place where petrol and diesel may be purchased (usually alongside a full range of confectionary, cut flowers, coal, barbecue charcoal, books, CDs and take-away foods. Not to mention Looto tickets!) [I meant Lotto, but the typo is so serendipitous that I can't bear to alter it!]

#88946 12/10/02 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Looto tickets

You are the king of serendipitous typos. Sometimes I wonder if you don't unconsciously generate them. I was imagining y'all purchasing tickets giving you some set number of trips to the loo. It's £1 50p for a single trip but for £10 you can get a ten trip ticket or for £20 you can get a 25 trip ticket.

#88947 12/10/02 03:14 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
This would not be an attractive prize for men, over here. Trips to the loo are usually free for men (increasingly, for women also - because of sex discrimination laws here!)

king of serendipitous typos you should see the ones that I spot and alter!

#88948 12/10/02 07:17 PM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> "Bus Stop" is the place along the route where you flag a bus down; "Bus Station" is the main place where
> you find buses in large numbers (well - that's the theory rather than the fact ) and where you can change
> easily (??) from one route to another.

Not being a regular user of public transport, I'm not sure what we would call that. Probably an "interchange".

> However, if someone were to say just "station", I, and I think most of my fellow citizens, would assume
> "train" rather than "bus".

They could mean "police station" :)

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88949 12/10/02 07:20 PM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> Aggro; Amber fluid; back of beyond; barbie; booze; chook; deli; cream (the other team); dog (Woman
> viewed as unattractive); dag; knocked back (refused); plonk; prezzie; rellie; stickybeak (I’ve only heard
> this once or twice, but like it very much for its imagery, intend to encourage it).

Interesting, though I'm not convinced all of them are Australian in origin. F'rinstance, don't you call pubs "boozers"? I'm sure that pre-dates any Australian influence.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88950 12/11/02 12:05 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
>> station = police ... <<

If the context was right, yes, but usually that would be "the nick", "the cop-shop", or some similar friendly diminutive.

>> boozer << I think you are correct, Mark - I have seen references to "boozer" dating right back to mid C19 London.

However, there is one definitely Oz phrase which is firmly entrenched over here, now - "Go walk-about"

#88951 12/11/02 05:13 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Um, well. I looked up 'booze' in an Australian slang dictionary and there it was. Then I tried the OED and this is what it said, more or less:

Alteration of obsolete bouse, from Middle English bousen, to drink to excess, from Middle Dutch busen. No mention of Australia I admit.

But I guess none of that proves who first turned bouse into booze - could have been a Dutchman sailing in Southern latitudes or could have been a Dutch refugee in Olde England.

#88952 12/11/02 05:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a Dutchman sailing in Southern latitudes

Since Middle English was pretty much dead and gone by the time we had any Dutchmen [sic] sailing in Southern latitudes I think we can discount the notion that booze is an Ozism.

#88953 12/11/02 06:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:"Bus Stop" is the place along the route where you flag a bus down; "Bus Station"

reminds me of a NY Triva game question..

Where is Grand Central Station?

most guess 42nd Street, some even place it at the intersection of 42nd Street and Park Avenue...

but the answer is 45th Street and Lexington.

Grand Centeral Termimal, is a Railroad terminal-- a terminal is a place where trains come to the end of the line . Grand central terminal is at 42nd Street and Park Avenue. (Park Avenue, for pedestrains passes through the terminal, the roadway for cars is routed round the terminal, (the opening scene of Men in Black is filmed on the roadway which is elevated, and actually passes through a building!)

Grand Central Station, is a Post office Station. (a place where mail starts and stops, and also passes through! it is on Lexington Avenue!

Penn(sylvaina) Station on the west side is a Rail road Station, traffic from Boston (or Washington) stops at New York, and passes through to Washington (or Boston)

So I also think of there is a difference between a train station, and a train terminal. all stops on a train are stations. bus stop are stops, and buses terminate at a depot. and post office buildings as stations too...and i buy my gas at a gas station, (i understand filling station, but it is old fashioned, and not terminology i would use.)

#88954 12/11/02 07:39 PM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> However, there is one definitely Oz phrase which is firmly entrenched over here, now - "Go walk-about"

It may be of Australian origin, but it's an expression you would rarely hear now, because of its potentially derogatory implications.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88955 12/11/02 08:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...the answer is 45th Street and Lexington... Grand Central Terminal is at 42nd Street and Park Avenue.

It's a big place, huh.

#88956 12/11/02 10:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

Go walk-about...it's an expression you would rarely hear now, because of its potentially derogatory implications.

What exactly are the "potentially derogatory implications"? I love the non-derogatory meaning and had no idea there might be a derogatory implication. If it's really bad, you can PM me. Thanks from this USn.

#88957 12/12/02 12:15 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
What exactly are the "potentially derogatory implications"

Well, Connie, I'm an Aussie and I wouldn't personally associate "gone walkabout" with anything derogatory.

That said, a reasonably high profile international Rugby player who left his squad to go home to his family without telling anyone (who also happened to be of Aboriginal origin) was tagged by the media as someone who had "gone walkabout" and I guess the implication in that case was that he was irresponsible.

Methinks it's all in the context...

#88958 12/12/02 03:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would think it might be something like describing some young buck's first pub-crawl as his first communion. The walkabout is, originally, an aboriginal rite of passage and as such has something of a religious connotation. I think it has taken on less spiritual connotations among Anglo-Australians but it may raise the hackles of some Natives who feel that the old ways have been compromised.

Just the rantings of some know-nothing Yank.

#88959 12/12/02 05:39 AM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> The walkabout is, originally, an aboriginal rite of passage and as such has something of a religious
> connotation. I think it has taken on less spiritual connotations among Anglo-Australians...

I think you're spot-on here. In the past, Anglo-Australians have failed to understand the spiritual aspect of the walkabout, so referring to an aboriginal Australian as having "gone walkabout" usually had a perjorative sense - i.e. it implied that they'd irresponsibly dropped their work and gone wandering in the bush. So, it's right that the negative connotations are context-sensitive, but it's still a phrase I would avoid using.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88960 12/12/02 10:02 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Its most common usage over here was, originally, to describe HM Queen Liz II when she condescended to mingle with the crowds of the great unwashed who flock to gawk at her when she does anything. I have a vague memory that the first time she ever did this was on a tour of Oz, back in the 70s, or thereabouts.
The phrase is now used for any "personality" appearing in public, who deviates from the route prescribed by the organisers of the event, and stops randomly to talk to members of the public.

#88961 12/12/02 01:51 PM
This is all very interesting. I'd never heard the expression "gone walkabout" used in any but the most trivial sense, and never knew it had a spiritual connotation originally. I knew it was an expression that originated with Aboriginals, and should have guessed from what I know (not very much) about their relationship to the land and moving around on it that it should mean more than being lost in the bush.

#88962 12/12/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's a journey a boy makes as part of his transition to manhood. He goes out alone to seek his spirit guide, generally staying away for some period of time. A month rings a bell.

This is all dimly remembered stuff from anthropolgy days.

#88963 12/12/02 09:31 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
In reply to:

Its most common usage over here was, originally, to describe HM Queen Liz II when she condescended to mingle with the crowds of the great unwashed who flock to gawk at her when she does anything.

A fine example of the way in which contempt for an institution can reflect itself in the disdain for the individuals associated with it. And, no, I am no monarchist

#88964 12/13/02 12:12 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Gee golly guys, can't we respect the aborigines. Are their customs and traditions so fragile that they are offended by the mismouthings of silly honkeys who misuse their term "walkabout" ? One would think them more the equal to the best of us.

#88965 12/13/02 12:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
interesting how we went from filling up our gas-guzzlers to walking about...

formerly known as etaoin...
#88966 12/13/02 01:27 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Just the rantings of some know-nothing Yank.

Methinks it's all in the context...

#88967 12/13/02 03:44 AM
M
mjw Offline
stranger
stranger
M
> Gee golly guys, can't we respect the aborigines. Are their customs and traditions so fragile that they are
> offended by the mismouthings of silly honkeys who misuse their term "walkabout" ? One would think them
> more the equal to the best of us.

It's nothing to do with "fragility" of aborigine customs. The use of the word "walkabout" is a bit sensitive because it has been used with perjorative intent and, except for the afore-mentioned regal connection, is rarely used any other way. There's still an underlying current of irresponsibility and laziness associated with the word.

Mark Waddington

Mark Waddington
#88968 12/13/02 11:19 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

There's still an underlying current of irresponsibility and laziness associated with the word.

But that is exactly what I love about going walkabout! It is a break from everyday life that allows me to see things in a different light, experiment with alternates of myself but mostly it allows me to be free.

#88969 12/13/02 04:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Walkabout is also the name of a 1970's Ozzie movie, that has held up pretty well.. you can rent it in US at most blockbusters, and its worth watching.
the movie was the first time i heard the expression.

#88970 12/13/02 04:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a 1970's Ozzie movie

Based on the book by James Vance Marshall. They make an interesting compare and contrast

#88971 12/13/02 07:45 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
There's still an underlying current of irresponsibility and laziness associated with the word.
... and more than that, I'm afraid, in Britain. If something has disappeared (usually because someone has nicked it!) it is often said to have "gone walkabout" - the phrase was used on the news today in reference to the fraudulent activities of Cherie Blair's property adviser, Peter Booth.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith