Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
over in Q & A, AnnaS ask if mincemeat has meat in it.

the answer is yes and no... nowdays, most mincemeat does not have meat in it, but it still often contains suet, (ground beef fat) and fruits and nuts.

in the past, mince meat was a way of extending meat... ground meat, (sometimes almost rancid) was mixed with fruits and nuts (meats) spices, salt and sugar (of somesort) to hide the off taste and fat to make a 'meat'.

mincemeat, like rarebit (or welsh rabbit--something that has been done to death here!) it a case of a name sounding more meaty than the actual procuct.

but when poor peasants were not likely to see meat more than once or twice a year, mince meat was a good excuse for a main course.

just as today, we have veggie burgers (that have no meat) many dishes of the past had no or little meat, but meaty names.

in Pennsylvania area, frugal housewifes make scrapple- ground corn meal with bits of ground meat, (and lots of fat) to make something like a breakfast sausage. i suspect, they did something similar back home in germany or eastern europe-- scrapple doesn't have a meat name...

i can't think of other foods with misleading names.. but i am sure there are plenty.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
other foods with misleading names

Sweetbreads

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Trouble with mincemeat these days is you can't get permit to shoot a mince.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>the answer is yes and no... nowdays, most mincemeat does not have meat in it, but it still often contains suet, (ground beef fat) and fruits and nuts.

That may be true in your part of the world, but it ain't so here. Our food labelling regulations make sure that a thing is what is says it is. So the ghastly fruit stuff called "mincemeat" is labelled as "fruit mincemeat," making sure that those of who like mince to actually be mince don't get suckered into buying that hideous fruit mush.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Not until I was thirteen did I have have the supreme pleasue of trying Yorkshire pudding. I'd heard of Yorkshire pudding and wondered, as child, what it was. My experience of pudding had been Jell-O puddings and my mother's rice puddngs, which were nothing like the Jell-O ones.

When I finally did try Yorkshire pudding, I was surprised! This was a 'pudding' I liked very much, though it didn't seem to be a pudding at all. It seemed to be more a type of bread, like corn bread in a pan, but airier.

I've learned to make it over the years, and I do think that a roast beef with Yorkshire pudding is one of the best things going out there.

Don't know whether this exactly fits into your category, of troy, but I'll submit it anyway.

D
addict
addict
D
You thought yorkies were a sweet? What did you think when you heard of black pudden?

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>i can't think of other foods with misleading names.. but i am sure there are plenty.

Mountain oysters.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And "organic" vegetables may be grown on Job's dunghill.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
grown on Job's dunghill

You know of some inorganic dung, do you, Dr. Bill?

Aside from that produced by the machine described in this article, anyway, http://discover.com/dec_02/featbiology.html, and even it used organic ingredients (well, except for the water).

WARNING: The article in the link is about the biology and genetics of YUCK!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Lots of assholes call themselves artists. I had a patient who executed beautiful murals
with his own excrement. I have contempt for the organic cultists. I have mucked out
many a pen and spread and harrowed it in, then had to add lime and phosphate. But
I much preferred bag fertilizer for our vegetable garden. The Colonial farmers were
strictly organic, having no choice. But removing a crop and replacing only a fraction
of the nutrients soon dropped yields drastically. Today's organic nuts would be unable
to get manure if it were not for animal feeds raised with commercial fertilizer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith