About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
By's post reminded me of a query I meant to launch here before my cyber meltdown distracted me.

There are times when I'm out driving, or even walking sometimes, when suddenly, and for no apparent reason, the utterly familiar takes on this strange aura of total, raw, unfamiliarity, sometimes even to the point of acutally becoming disoriented in my mind's eye for a few seconds, actually asking myself "where am I?" until the familar snaps back into focus. It's a peculiar sensation that I find intriguing, actually. But I guess other folks experience this too...the familiar becoming totally unfamiliar for a few seconds or more...suddenly, you don't know where you are, even though you're on a most familiar stretch of road, and everything just looks totally unfamiliar for awhile, and then it comes back into familiar focus.

But is there a word for this? (and, no, it's not vertigo )

This is a serious proposition though...and if there's not a word for this experience can we coin one?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Would this be a mild form of dissociation?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's also jamais vu (never seen) and presque vu (almost seen) for which I have Catch-22 to thank. Whether they're legit terms I wouldn't know. YCLIUNTYKWTLU.

M
old hand
old hand
M
deja va.

(now where was I...)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Whether they're legit terms I wouldn't know. [re: jamais vu & presque vu]

gosh, you mean French ain't legit?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
French ain't legit?

That's a whole nother question.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I agree that jamais vu (never seen) correctly describes this sensation. There is a word for this in English, too: stoned.

With language, if you say a word over and over again out loud it can induce the effect.

"Those French! They have a different word for everything!" -- Steve Martin

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
stoned

Yeah, I meant to put "trippin'" next to vertigo by the tongue emoticon, 'cause I figured somebody was going to bring that up...no, this has nothing to do with any kind of drug induced hallucinatory state (although I suppose it could be applied to that, as well). That's what makes it so curious and intriguing. When something familiar suddenly looks totally unfamiliar. When driving it happens more at nighttime than during the day.

But what makes something familiar?...repetition. What suddenly strips all the registered repetition away to make something look unfamiliar again, if only for a few moments? Isn't this more like something returning to its original state of perception...i.e. original state. Maybe the trigger for the word or term is in there somewhere (returning to an original state).

I think dissociation is the closest so far.

deja vu: you feel like you've seen (or done) something before

(???): you feel like you've never seen something before even though you know it well

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
nouveau vue ??

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well dissociation would describe what I meant about saying a word out loud over and over again. It dissociates the phoneme from the meaning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith