OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a) supper-loving
<the Big Book of Words> dodyskin

b) inclined to vomit; squeamish
<tsuwm> hev

c) having small hollow appendages
<wofahulicodoc> musick

d) (usu. describing a word or term) generally understood; not restricted to a local dialect <fishonabike>

e) a description of the face as having taken up a fishlike appearence in extreme old age
<dxb> shona

f) referring to the time just before sunrise
<Faldage> ASp

g) obviously anachronistic; antiquated
<WhitmanO’Neill>

h) having an abundance of phlegm
<Fiberbabe> RhubarbC, consuelo

i) pebbled or corny texture of tree bark or human epidermis
<Wordwind> Faldage, WO’N, Fiberbabe, bonzai

j) the effect of sunlight on the bottom of clouds near sunset
<consuelo> BankrollBets

k) referring to rituals taken in preparation for the execution of a condemned prisoner, in particular allowing the prisoner to choose his last meal, the reading of the last rites, and other similar solemnities
<troubador> Sparteye, Wordwind

l) an exclamation of mock incredibility aping ichthyologist T.Francis Hare who, when told of a live 65 million year old fossil Coelacanth being caught off the coast of Cape Town in 1938, replied "Ridiculous!"
<milum> (as though there were a doubt) milum

m) of or relating to weaving
<teD Remington>

n) arising from the embryologic foregut
<Alex Williams> Alex, teD

o) the feeling of exposure one gets walking into a banquet full of people seated
<musick> dxb

p) tending toward dyspepsia
<AnnaStrophic>

q) a glutton for punishment
<dodyskin> curly(?!)

r) term applied to depictions of the Last Supper; so called because the supper took place in a coenaculum, the large room in which the latest meal was eaten
<Sparteye> wolf

---

thus we see that Wordwind was the big winner for this round, with what she admitted to be a definition she made up on the fly; a Wondrous lesson for those of us who agonized over our entries. (hi milum!)

dodyskin also deserves credit for scoping out the True Meaning (TM); too bad her effort was decrepitated by that vote from Curly. nyuk! nyuk! nyuk!

attaboys go to Fiberbabe and troubador for garnering two(2) votes each for their respective efforts.

the Useless Play on Words (UPoW) award goes to teD (whom else?) for relating his entry to the crossthread clue.

and, last but least, honorable mention to Sparteye for being oh, so close to the TM while not having a clue.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Taking a most humble bow here with my four votes tucked into my pocket, I want to mention that coenaculous reminded me of the genus for the lovely dogwood tree: Cornus

And the genus comes from the fact that the dogwood has a corny bark. It's a distinctive feature of the tree and makes it easily identifiable in the winter. Take a look at that bark sometime, if you don't already know it. It looks like alligator skin.

My coenaculous predilections will take a turn toward the upcoming American season of meleagrine visions. tsuwm: I've finally made that word my own along with gallinaceous.

Bird regards,
WoodsWind

M
old hand
old hand
M
I hesitate least I be thought of as a troublemaker, but did anyone notice a series of irregularities in this latest game of Hogwash? For one thing why was the wining definition placed at the top of a list of nineteen definitions? Makes you wonder doesn't it...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
be thought of as a troublemaker

You? A troublemaker? Everyone knows you're just a cute little ol' teddy bear, bless your heart.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>why was the wining[sic] definition placed at the top of a list of nineteen definitions?

I hesitate to be a stickler for detail, but there were just eighteen definitions--and did you mean 'winning' or perhaps 'whining'?!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well of course there was a series of irregularities. This is Hogwash, after all.

You don't hear me grumbling, do you, because that tsuwm person, archfiend that he is, purposely misled me by using the word crossthread in his hideously inadequate clue! I have gone back looking and I couldn't find a crossthread that fits the context, and of course I would NEVER complain about how that so-and-so tsuwm person not only misled me but then cackled about it. NOT ME!!!

TEd
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
teD, my humblest and abjectest apologies for suggesting that 'supper-loving' in any fit, form or fashion relates to the dimly remembered supper/dinner discussion(s).

p.s. - now that I chew on it, there is a subthread weaving through the definitions: Last Supper, last meal, banquet seating, dyspepsia, embryologic foregut, glutton for punishment....

p.p.s. - some words for these definitions..

inclined to vomit; sqeamish: keck[l]ish
the effect of sunlight on the bottom of clouds near sunset: friscalating dusklight?
obviously anachronistic; antiquated: superannuated?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

r) term applied to depictions of the Last Supper; so called because the supper took place in a coenaculum, the large room in which the latest meal was eaten <Sparteye> wolf

Hey ! I wants another half-point for identifrying the root!

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>Hey ! I wants...

oh, did I forgets to mention that the decisions of the hogmaster® are arbitrary, capricious and usually final?!

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Capricious, Arbitrary, and Final Hogmaster tsuwm:

Did you notice how many of these definitions either directly and indirectly had to do with supper and suppertime? [Jung and the collective unconscious was obviously at work in the backgrounds of our brains.] If'n you were a capricious, aribitrary, final and generous Hogmaster, that we all suspect you are, you'd assign half points for all those at least inchoate coenaculous definitions. Even the "corn" in my own should be worth a fourth of a point because corn is often a coenaculous offering. Why, even Fiberbabe's phlegm could be argued to be at the supper table on occasion. And I spotted fish a couple of times, too.

Appealing to your spirit of generosity,
WW

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 804 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith