Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I hope I haven't left anybody out. I checked the list three times this time, so I think everything's in. If you didn't hear back from me via PM, then I didn't receive your daffintion.

Vote for one of the definitions below. You can vote by posting on this thread. You can just vote or you can write an 500-word essay on how you arrived at your final answer. Anybody can vote, whether you contributed a definition or not, and, even if you know the definition, you can vote on a definition that you liked better than the real one. But please do not give away which one is the real one.

PROLATE

1. n. 1. Industrial coffee maker 2. n. Human egg donor

2. adj. (of spheroid) Lengthened along polar diameter

3. adj. Physical manifestation of bad genetic coding characteristic of inbreeding: prolate third breast

4. adj. Voluntary; a layman living in a monastery under a modified rule and without vows; opposite of "oblate" Etymology: Medieval Latin prolatus, literally, one offered up, from Latin, past participle of profferre (more at PROFFER)

5. n. An ousted group leader.

6.n./ v. (originally) wish well; (current use) seemingly wish well, whilst actually cursing -- as in the Chinese "May you live in interesting times"

7. adj. L. prov lateus lit. Before death. Usage example: "Because of his deadpan face the prolate Buster Keeton was pronounced "dead" as he lay upon his deathbed two days before he actually died."

8. n. This is an unusual word, with a rather mongrel etymology. It is made up from the Latinate "pro-" meaning "for" and the Scandinavian "latter" or "humour; laughter" The combination is used as a description of the use of laughter as a medicine. Sending someone with endemic depression to the circus, for instance, might be described as "prolate therapy."

9. adj. pertaining to the common man (cf. "proletariat"); a term of disparagement

10. n. 1. a judicial term for a judge appointed to fill an unexpected vacancy on the bench for the remainder of the designated term; 2. someone appointed to fill the vacancy created by the unexpected departure of an any public official

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I'll take 2 please.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I like 4, myself. I have a friend who used to be an Oblate Monk at the Transcendentalist Retreat in Green Bay, Wisconsin many years back (before he realized he was depressed, that is). I didn't think there was an opposite, though.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Great stuff. I particularly like 3 4 and 7, but have decided to go with 10.

old hand
old hand
I likes 3.

F
veteran
veteran
F
Verrrrrrry difficult - an awful lot of them look plausible, but I think for the most part that's because they relate to similar-looking words. Having said which, that knocks out most of my favourites.

That leaves me with 2 as the only sensible option; but I don't feel sensible, so I'll go for 4 or 6 [tosses coin]
*** 6 it is!

Well played folks - another goodie.

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
For sheer inventiveness I would have to go for 4, but my vote goes to 7 for taking the opportunity of bringing Buster Keaton into it. Can I vote for both?

dxb.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I won't vote for 2. Y'all can guess why not. This is pretty tricky. I'm pretty sure I know which one is Milum's, so that narrows it down some more. Is definition 1 two for the money? Guess I'll go with 3

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll vote for 5, just because no one's even mentioned it yet!

M
old hand
old hand
M
The answer, quite rightly, is # 7 .

But because tsuwm and Capital Kiwi knew that # 7 was the answer they were, quite rightly, not allowed to vote in this maverick round of Hogwash. I feel sorry for them (and I don't mean that in any kind of chinese prolative way) and so pose this question for their enjoyment and entertainment...

In 1969 two members of the U.S. Senate recorded their version of "Mellow Yellow".
The Question: Name the Senator who sang the lead, then name the Senator who (six times) interjected with the refrain "Quite rightly".

#80101 09/11/02 09:08 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
tsuwm and Capt Kiwi can vote, milum. I changed the rules--I think. People can vote for a definition if they know the real definition as long as they don't vote for the real definition. They can vote for the definition that they liked the best beyond the real one--you know, the definition that really should have been the definition. But tsuwm and Cap. Kiwi weren't aware of this hidden rule because I hadn't thought of it--and everybody would know they were voting for an incorrect definition. I guess in their case they could vote, but be given some allowance to vote either for the real one or for a fake. And mebbe they could vote last.

Which reminds me. We need a ballpark deadline. How 'bout Sunday night? And Cap. Kiwi and tsuwm could vote Mondayish.

Best regards,
WW

#80102 09/11/02 01:43 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Mellow Yellow: Robert Kennedy lead, Everett Dirksen on refrain...if I remember rightly.

#80103 09/11/02 02:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>But because tsuwm and Capital Kiwi knew that # 7 was the answer...

okay, we can *all safely vote for something other than seven (7) now.

#80104 09/12/02 01:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, Dub-Dub! I still like the first definition I sent in best!:

a professional who is always late

Can I vote for that one instead?

M
old hand
old hand
M
My, my, this is the damnest game of Hogwash I've ever seen.

Hogwash (by definition): a eye-gouging, throat-cutting, back-stabing game of lies, where rules are capriciously enforced by the Hogmaster, a hairy, smelly, brute of a man who plays favorites and takes bribes.

I feel like one of the ladies in frilly dresses sitting in the cheering section at a pig denutting ceremony. Listen to these enfeminizations...

I do so hope that I haven't left anyone out. But please do not give away which definition is the real one. ~ wordwind

I'll take #2, please ~sjm

Great stuff. ~ annastrophic, who has never said a kind word in a game of Hogwash since the name was changed from Washpiglet.

I likes 3 ~ fiberbabe

Well played folks - another goodie. ~ fishonabike

For sheer inventiveness I would have to go for 4, but my vote goes to 7 for taking the opportunity of bringing Buster Keaton into it. May I vote for both? ~ dxb.

I'll vote for 5, just because no one's even mentioned it yet! ~ whitmanoneil

I do feel pity and sorry for them (and I don't mean that in any kind of chinese prolative way) and so pose this question for their enjoyment. ~ milum

(sweetly) And Cap. Kiwi and tsuwm could vote Mondayish. ~ Hogmaster wordwind

"Mondayish"? There's no "Mondayish" in Hogwash. Hogwash games end "At the death-stroke of Midnight" or, "whenever the Hell tsuwm or ted sez they end". Lordy, next thing you know men, points will be subtracted for our occasional resort to profanity - Gee whiz, tough bunnies, gee golly dern, and others.

Damn!

And as for you consuello, who can always guess milo's definition because of it's obvious nature, milo, meaning me, does not have a definition this game. My definition was entered too late. So there.

And as for you, Slithy Trove, you may be slithy but you are a treasure trove of important information. I knew that Everett Dirksen sang the haunting refrain "quite rightly" in the recording "Mellow Yellow", but I had forgotten that Bobby Kennedy sang the lead.

#80106 09/12/02 04:06 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I feel like one of the ladies in frilly dresses sitting in the cheering section at a pig denutting ceremony

Now that, Mr M, should definitely be worth more than two dollars.

best image for ages - or at least the most vivid!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Hogmaster, a hairy, smelly, brute of a man who plays favorites and takes bribes.

I am OFFENDED! I do NOT take bribes. Lagniappes, yes, but not bribes. The rest of the definition isn't bad, but bribes? OH!!!!

TEd
#80108 09/12/02 04:15 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
While you're blabbering about, you know you could have cast a vote while you were at it? Come on: These hogs like getting votes...

Yours truly,
The Hogmistress

#80109 09/12/02 04:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You are absolutely right. I like two. When I see the word prolate it makes me think of oblate, so this could be the opposite of oblate.

TEd
#80110 09/12/02 05:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>this could be the opposite of oblate.

if it came to that, Ted, would you tell us how to tell the difference between an oblate spheroid and a prolate spheroid?

#80111 09/12/02 05:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>if it came to that, Ted, would you tell us how to tell the difference between an oblate spheroid and a prolate spheroid?

Yes. But ONLY if it comes to that.

TEd
#80112 09/12/02 05:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Mr. tsuwm:

You have just given away the definition. Gee thanks. Now what would you do if you were Hogmaster here in this situation?

Blagh regards,
WW

#80113 09/12/02 05:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't think I did, but it won't do any good to delete it now!

edit: the concept of an "opposite" to oblate piqued my interest.

#80114 09/12/02 05:17 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I didn't vote, 'cuz I know the correct one's not there. I happen to know the real meaning of prolate is: an ecclesiastical bigwig who happens to like certain kinds of people.

#80115 09/13/02 08:58 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear tsuwm,

Please forgive me for not checking out this word with you via PM before posting this sabotaged round. I forgot. I just found the word, thought we needed another round, and I plunged in. I don't blame you at all for writing about spheroids. It could have been worse. You could have written about hemroids.

Anyway, anybody can still vote between now and Sunday night whether you know the definition or not. Folks been pretty clever in what they created and would appreciate your points.

Blushing regards,
WW

#80116 09/15/02 12:21 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I feel like one of the ladies in frilly dresses sitting in the cheering section at a pig denutting ceremony.

Nearly had one of those late-night-coffee-coming-out-of-the-nostrils moments when I read this. Maybe there is some virtue in Lower Alabamy besides state lines to escape across after all!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#80117 09/15/02 04:55 PM
D
addict
addict
D
brown bread and turnips and pottage and rice
hot pot and puddings and eels and bread pies
boiled bacon and cabbage and bubble and squeak
these are a few of my favourite eats
salted herrings
broken biscuits
fish bits and pea wet and marge
these are a few of my favourite eats
i wish that my hips weren't soooooooooo laaaaaaaaaarge

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dody,

As soon as you three vote, I think all the votes of submitters will be in. I can't remember exactly, but it seems that we wait till each of the submitters has cast a vote.

So: Dody....

Jackie...

and Scalawag....

please cast your votes.

Thanks,
WW

S
stranger
stranger
S
It's #6, the artful and deceptive Chinese curse. Did y'all ever read the Kai Lung books, by Ernest Bramah? You'll have come across the word there.

#80120 09/16/02 10:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Dub-Dub, I guess all the hogs will come out in the wash!

A curious match, this one.

#80121 09/16/02 11:46 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
There's a lot o' slop 'bout these hogs, W'on. Truth be known, this be 'bout the sloppiest Hogwash (unregistered) ever was.

Me, I'm jes' bidin' my time till Jackie and Dody vote. They may as well vote randomly.

I hope somebody will come up with a creepy, crawly hog for October to play.

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Did y'all ever read the Kai Lung books, by Ernest Bramah?
"Entrancing as it is to wander in this garden of bright images, are we not neglecting something of almost equal importance." (Could that be voting?) Wonderful! Kai Lung had something appropriate for every occasion.
dxb.

#80123 09/17/02 01:54 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
WAIT! DON'T CLOSE THEM POLLS!...huuh...huuh...(give me a minute, I'm out of breath)...huuh...huuh, OK, thats better, ...now let me tell you the good news. I just got off the phone with Jackie and just plain Dody. They are vacationing off the coast of the Tam`bere`nee Islands and won't be able to get back in time to vote. They have given me their proxy.

Just plain Dody votes for # 7 - before death.

And Jackie votes for # 5 - an ousted group leader.(such as former Hogmaster tsuwm.)

Please hurry and post the results, Hogmisstress, now that all the votes are in we can experience closure and move on to Creepy-Crawley Hogwash for Halloween. Yea!

#80124 09/17/02 02:34 PM
D
addict
addict
D
indeed, #7 it is sorry for my tardiness

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Sorry, milum.

Rhubarb ain't voted yet either. So, we gotta wait till he plays the last tune in this limping little operetta before I paste the results.

Rhubarb: We wait the red-purple cast of your vote.

Jackie: Is milum telling the truth? Did you really want to vote for #5?

Best regards,
WW

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
OK. If milum is telling the truth, then the results are as follows:

1. Just Plain Jody's definition = No votes, but I liked the definitions.

2. Real definition (the spheroid one that tsuwm and Cap Kiwi gave away) = 2 votes

3. AnnaS's definition = 2 votes; 2 points

4. Wolfaholic's definition = 1 vote (his own); no points

5. Jackie's definition = 2 votes (1 her own if milum told the truth); 1 point

6. Fish's definition = 2 votes (1 was Fish's own); 1 point

7. milum's definition = 3 votes (1 was the contender's own); 2 points

8. Rhubarb's definition = 0 votes

9. scalawag's definition = 0 votes

10. W'on's definition = 1 vote; 1 point

Results and Co-Winners:

Ms. Annastrophic with 2 points;

Mr. Milum with 2 points

Some dictionary [I forgot which one] with 2 points

Congratulations to the tri-winners.

Now, tsuwm, will you please run the next Hogwash and make it a registered round with rules posted. Also, will you please find a very nice, creepy-crawly obscure word for OCTOBER

Best regards,
One exhausted Wordwind

P.S. Edit: I thought prolate was a very cool word its being football season and all that. Not that I've ever watched a football game...

J
old hand
old hand
J
Now, tsuwm, will you please run the next Hogwash and make it a registered round with rules posted. Also, will you please find a very nice, creepy-crawly obscure word for OCTOBER

Halloween isn't until Oct. 31. Do you really think it's going to take a month and a half to do a round of Hogwash? We usta have about a round a week. sheesh.

#80128 09/17/02 09:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This mean you're volunteering to Master the next one, Jazz?

#80129 09/17/02 09:36 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
You might have used to have a round a week--and that sounds like great fun to me--but it takes a week to get definitions in and another week for shepherding in votes.

I agree with ASp#1: Jazzo--why don't you run a round or two between now and the creepy-crawly one?

Best regards,
WW

#80130 09/18/02 01:52 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Oh yes Wordless Pigmaster,

I hesitate to mention that you concluded this odd round of
Hogwash Unauthorizento as you began it;

You failed in the end to assign definitions to your contributors as you
promised in the complete form as they were written. Remember?

Instead you assigned them numbers.

Why Dear Post Pig?
Is "Hogwash The Game" beyond you and all others that
by sex and nature are cursed with a gentle demeanor?

#80131 09/18/02 09:01 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Mr. milum:

Why repeat definitions when you can read the beginning of the thread? Seems redundant to me.

Oh, well, Mr. Redundancy, here's the list to save your having to scroll to the top:

PROLATE

1. n. 1. Industrial coffee maker 2. n. Human egg donor

Dody’s definition; 0 points

2. adj. (of spheroid) Lengthened along polar diameter

Real definition: 2 votes; 2 points

3. adj. Physical manifestation of bad genetic coding characteristic of inbreeding: prolate third breast

AnnaS’s definition; 2 votes; 2 points

4. adj. Voluntary; a layman living in a monastery under a modified rule and without vows; opposite of "oblate" Etymology: Medieval Latin prolatus, literally, one offered up, from Latin, past participle of profferre (more at PROFFER)

Wolf’s definition; 1 vote (Wolf’s); 0 points

5. n. An ousted group leader.

Jackie’s definition; 2 votes (1 Jackie’s); 1 point

6.n./ v. (originally) wish well; (current use) seemingly wish well, whilst actually cursing -- as in the Chinese "May you live in interesting times"

Fish’s definition; 2 votes (1 Fish’s); 1 point

7. adj. L. prov lateus lit. Before death. Usage example: "Because of his deadpan face the prolate Buster Keeton was pronounced "dead" as he lay upon his deathbed two days before he actually died."

milum’s definition; 3 votes (1 milum’s); 2 points

8. n. This is an unusual word, with a rather mongrel etymology. It is made up from the Latinate "pro-" meaning "for" and the Scandinavian "latter" or "humour; laughter" The combination is used as a description of the use of laughter as a medicine. Sending someone with endemic depression to the circus, for instance, might be described as "prolate therapy."

Rhubarb’s definition; 0 points

9. adj. pertaining to the common man (cf. "proletariat"); a term of disparagement

Scalawags’ definition; 0 points

10. n. 1. a judicial term for a judge appointed to fill an unexpected vacancy on the bench for the remainder of the designated term; 2. someone appointed to fill the vacancy created by the unexpected departure of an any public official

W’on’s definition; 1 vote; 1 point

Post haste = Post paste

Why don't you run the next round, milum?

Best regards,
WW

#80132 09/18/02 12:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

I found this one particularly interesting since it is claimed that this is the opposite of "oblate" but it is, in fact, a legitimate definition of oblate. Oblate is also an opposite (sort of ) of prolate, being a spheroid squashed along the polar diameter. The Earth is an oblate spheroid.

#80133 09/18/02 06:45 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
it is claimed that this is the opposite of "oblate" but it is, in fact, a legitimate definition of oblate. Oblate is also an opposite (sort of ) of prolate

...precisely my reason for submitting it - intended to confuse/mislead (edit: attract) anyone who might know the shape of the word but not quite all the details. ("Corroborative detail indeed -- corroborative balderdash!") :-)

#80134 09/18/02 06:59 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
Sorry wofa, it didn't work. I knew oblate, and the real definition just leapt out at me as a result, even though I had never seen prolate before.

#80135 09/19/02 12:37 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The interesting thing about "oblate" service is that it looks as though it might have something to do with "obligate" (adj), whereas what differentiates it from other types is the voluntary aspect of it.

Oh well. Nobody said English was internally consistent. Aylec, as it were. Anything you like except consistent...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 845 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith