OP Offline
enthusiast

#79271 09/02/02 08:22 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Dear Gallant Ted,

I was sitting around admiring the photograph of you, Alcamoo, and Maddog, when all of a sudden it hit me.
Hey! This is no casual photograph, this is an professional advertisement for Budweiser Beer!

Ten years ago the Budweiser folks found that beers could be sold more effectively if their billboards told a simple story, ideally a story of romance, and in stories of romance three is the ideal number. I rushed to the store and bought a case of Budweiser.

At home I drank half of the case of Bud and then looked at the photo again. No help, the photo still looked fuzzy. Then I got a pair of 3-D glasses. Bingo! Clear as a bell. I got another Budweiser from the fridge and began analyzing the picture.

Right out of the box my eyes were drawn to a gold-framed painting of the setting sun, symbolically situated directly above Maddog's head. Maddogs close-set beady eyes look at you, Gallant, with anger, but it is an sad, sad, anger that masks a deep hurt.

You, Gallant, are looking at Alcamoo. No! More than looking! Your eyes ask Alcamoo a soundless question. In profile, your handsome countenance seems pensive, and yet somehow hopeful, expectant of things to come. While Alcamoo, superficially pretending unawareness of your gaze, looks ever-so-slightly to the right and beyond you, with a demure, bemused, half-smile, but also with a confident awareness of the allure of his silky yellow neck ribbon, and of the intense desire evoked by his fluffy brown fur.

Wow! I said to myself, and then got another beer.

Milum.

#79272 09/02/02 08:53 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Howya mil

Wow!! Fair play ta ya - ya have us down ta a tee (or should that be a beer?) Yer very good at readen Teds. Listen, I'm scannen me paw ta ya as I type so that ya can tell me more about meself and what me future holds. Last time I got it done the fortune teller said that me future looked hairy - so I'm hopen fer somethin a bit more positive this time.

Yer discriptive analysis was firece elokant too - it's grate ta meet someone what's good at both the readen and the writen.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

PS the truth of the matter is that we were all tryen ta think of an plawsible excuse ta get outa buyen the next round.

#79273 09/02/02 10:19 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Niceta meetya GT

we were all tryen ta think of an plawsible excuse ta get outa buyen the next round

Shouldn't be a problem - looks like you all forgot to take your wallets. As you all have drinks in the pic, you must have had a tab behind the bar. So should I presume you kept the tab going until last orders, then did a runner when the landlord was busy dealing with the inevitable rush?

No no, can't be for a Gallant Ted.

Ah, simple! The landlord knew of your worldwide fame, and thought the worldwide publicity worth the substantial amount of bear, sorry beer, that the three of you consumed that evening.

Only thing is you forgot to include the pub sign in the picture as may have been intended. Ah well.

#79274 09/02/02 10:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Watch the Hamm's folks don't hit ya with a copyright suit.

#79275 09/03/02 12:39 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Howye Fishyonabike and Faldage

Grate ta meet yerself too Fish. As it transpired the pleece raided the joint just as that photysnap was been taken - that's why it's so fuzzy. Lookily we all got out ok. As fer keepen a tab, Mr Slasher (prioter of Slasher's Bar(and Grill)) is very strick about cash upfront.

Faldage - who is these Hamms people? That photysnap, plus the mighty fine painten on the wall is genwine. I didn't know it was like another photysnap - honest! I'd love ta see the one we're supposed ta be maskeraden as.

Be seein ya

GallantTed (uniquely one of a kind)

#79276 09/03/02 10:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a blurb about the crafty little fellow:

http://www.tvacres.com/adanimals_hammsbear.htm

And here's some pictures:

http://www.vegalleries.com/comm2.html

Scroll down past Tony the Tiger and Western Airlines and click on the thumbnails.

#79277 09/03/02 10:23 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
And here's some pictures:
http://www.vegalleries.com/comm2.html

Amazing. In all these ads I can recognise only two characters: Tony the Tiger and Mr Magoo.
Cabbage Patch Dolls I knew about as "collectible" toys, but I've never seen them as a cartoon.

Says something about Cross-Pondial differences, I think, as what's better known than images from advertising?

However, I'll bet there are far more shared icons among those younger than me (I'm knocking on 40), with more commonality the younger you go.

In ten years' time we'll be driving on the right, and it won't be considered reckless to drive on the pavement.

#79278 09/03/02 11:04 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

Says something about Cross-Pondial differences

Great coin, Fish!

#79279 09/03/02 11:04 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

Says something about Cross-Pondial differences

Great coin, Fish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith