About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#78096 08/18/02 06:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can't vote this time. Between the righteous and the clever I am asea.

#78097 08/18/02 10:54 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
OK. Hogmaster Ted has chosen not to reveal the names of those who have contributed definitions to this round of Hogwash, therefore I can only be certain of the identities of only two contributors, Ted, who as Hogmaster supplies the correct definition, and me, whose definition is false.

So let's see...the last time Ted was Hogmaster he supplied the word "sedgwick" meaning "a screw for a knob on a drawer."

GEE! IT"LL BE HARD FOR TED TO TOP THE EXCITEMENT OF THAT LITTLE ZINGER, WON'T IT GANG!

Not so fast...many a man has fallen by by the wayside by underestimating Ted's compassion for the boring and mundane...huh?...boring and mundane? Wait! That's it! the answer is --> H <--.

mackenzie: a device that facilitates downhole borehole location.

Thanks Ted, for just being you. - -

#78098 08/19/02 01:55 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can't vote this time. Between the righteous and the clever I am asea.

There's a word for that, you know......cop-out!

#78099 08/19/02 12:35 PM
old hand
old hand
>>Can't vote this time. Between the righteous and the clever I am asea.

>There's a word for that, you know......cop-out!

Huh. I thought that was ASp's way of voting for C.

#78100 08/19/02 02:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here are the complete definitions along with the results.

A. mackenzie n. (abbrev. for mackenzie valve) a valve which introduces steam into a small chamber attached to the flywheel of a compound steam engine in order to slow it down. A form of steam-brake.
Named for it's inventor, Gregor MacKenzie (1837-1901), a noted steam engineer who worked for Avelin Steam Company, Kent, England. (from RhubarbCommando, who got a vote from sjm in addition to his own bluff)

B. mackenzie: a large switch-blade knife with a leather grasp (Jazzo, who got a vote from Chemeng(edited) AND from Fiberbabe (sorry FB I had it written down and missed it), and who voted for his own definition)

C. MACKENZIE is a heavy overcoat for cold/raw weather, used in Australia and other places south of the equator - analogous to the Mackintosh of Northern climes. (wofahulicodoc, who got votes from WO’N and I think Annastrophic. I agree with FB that saying “I am asea” has got to be a vote for C. And the Hogwash Master’s ruling always stands, right?)

D. mackenzie: explorer, adventurer -- someone who travels into little known regions (especially for some scientific purpose) (One vote from hev)

E. The tendency for daughters of celebrities to devolve into drug and alcohol addiction at the peak of her career. See also: tatum. (Fiberbabe sent this in. I am sending her a bill for a new keyboard. Kenya dark roast through the nose!)

F. Scottish slang for male genitalia (WO’N contributed this. Apparently it wasn’t upstanding enough to garner a vote.)

G. An applause meter (This is actually the correct definition, and was provided to me in a list of unusual words published by the Denver-Rocky Mountain News a couple of weeks back.. I have asked them repeatedly for a citation, without success, so if you want to fire me as Hogwash Master for putting up an unsupportable word, feel free to do so. It got a vote from dodyskin, but I THINK the vote was withdrawn and I am in my capacity as HM so ruling.)

H. Mackenzie - a device that facilitates downhole borehole location.
Mackenzie, together with McGeorge, developed a method of determining the drift of a borehole away from the vertical at any point in its depth thus enabling its plan location to be established and plotted against depth. The method utilised a glass tube or bottle containing two gelatine filled compartments, in one of which a compass was suspended while a plumb bob swung in the other. The tube was lowered a given distance down the borehole and left while the gelatine set. The angle of the plumb bob, the depth down the borehole and the compass reading enabled the necessary calculations to be made. Although MacGeorge’s name is associated with the method itself, the device was known as a mackenzie as it was his company that constructed and marketed it and had its name stamped into the protective wooden cradle. This method has long since been replaced by more technological solutions. (This is the submission just as I got it from dxb. Fooled milum, and if I hadn’t known the correct answer I’d have voted for it myself, so I think that’s worth an extra half point. HM rules!)

I. A device for mechanically threading automated knitting machines, designed by E. W. MacKenzie during the industrial boom of the 1800s. (From Sparteye, who got one vote from Consuelo.)

J. A mackenzie (as you know) is: A hold from traditional freestyle (a.k.a. "Lancashire") wrestling. With the opponent facing away, the wrestler puts both arms underneath the opponent's, bends elbows, and places both hands on the back of the opponent's neck. Pressure is then applied by pushing down with hands and widening elbows, until the opponent submits. (Submitted by Shona, who picked up votes from Sparteye, dodyskin, and belMarduk. This was the only one to pick up three full votes)

K, anyone or anything that is hopelessly old-fashioned (from Consuelo. I expected this to draw at least one vote.)

L. mackenzie to incur a debt of honour or to apply for protection (from Dodyskin)

M. mackenzie - a jocular term for the faux-German spoken on TV shows such as Hogan's Heros, from mach und zie (tsuwm sent this in, and I wondered when I got it if he’d consciously or unconsciously picked up on my pun in the original hogwash posting. In addition to his own bluff he took in Wordwind and dxb.)

N. A Choctaw version of the English fox hunt. Not knowing the proper rules they dragged the fox around the village by rope tied to a horse. Named after Bobwhite Mackenzie, the half-breed who taught them how to play. (This came from milum. Luckily I had learned my lesson and didn’t have a big mouthful of coffee loaded on when I read it.)

O. Any telescopic umbrella. (Wordwind’s submission, which came in just before cutoff.)

TEd
#78101 08/19/02 03:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yikes!®

Thanks, F'babe & TEd. In my attempt to be clever, I neglected to a[embolden]sea[/embolden].

Good on ya, wof. You got me. But it was a tough call. :)

#78102 08/19/02 03:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I wondered when I got it if he’d consciously or unconsciously picked up on my pun...

now why would I be looking for word play in a post of your'n? (it could well have been unconsciously!)

#78103 08/19/02 04:34 PM
old hand
old hand
You might want to re-tally those scores, TEd... I voted for B also...

You're welcome Jazz.

#78104 08/19/02 09:27 PM
D
addict
addict
D
i did not deserve any votes as my definition was a mean spirited jibe at the mackenzie clan, beneath me as a 'child/son of grace and/or strength' ( rough translation). the mackenzies have often been accused of being a subsidiary of the campbell clan having hidden beneath their armoured apron strings many years ago. was checking this out on a website that i am now unable to find, will post it (if you are interested in the in-fightings of scottish-irish clans centuries ago that is) when i come across it again. well done shona, it didn't quite convince me but i liked it a lot

#78105 08/20/02 05:34 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
D. mackenzie: explorer, adventurer -- someone who travels into little known regions (especially for some scientific purpose) (One vote from hev)

Geez, TEd, you could at least give me credit for bluffing with my own answer... [rolleyes]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith