About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#77796 08/08/02 01:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Musical notation, like language, is a convention that enables understanding and communication. But marvelous as it is, it's still just a finger pointing at the moon - and it shouldn't be confused with a reality where its rules don't necessarily apply.

This is the most sensible thing I've heard all *day!

musick: your idea of timbre is a good one, but I think it goes deeper than just two or three strings. think about the different instruments/voices that are used...

Much deeper! I suppose should have put the words "for example" a little earlier in that paragraph. Your comments on resonance are exactly what timbre is *about! Wordwind makes it clear for strings and Faldage makes it clear for brass. The answer is: there is a reason why things are set into certain keys: because they sound better. The fundamentals and the harmonics are both more pronounced. A stringed instrument will resonate the fullest as certain keys provide the most direct (mathematical) relationship with the open strings. Whether or not a Tenor sax, a b flat instrument, would be considerably different if it was constructed to be a c "concert" instrument is not worth much argument, but "built into" its physics certain frequencies resonate better, and I would suspect those would *transpose as well.

I doubt if one would be able to make much sense anymore out of any historical description of what key is called what "emotion", as they probably were labled before "just" tuning, but each instrument will have more overall "pastoral" sounding collections of notes... that may just *suggest a key. The modes are a different story. I'd be guessing also, Faldage, but your descrition of F (lydian) and D sounds like Plato's (that's the guess) description of the modes... where F is pastoral and D (dorian minor, not major) is the mode they played for soldiers to prepare them for battle, as it had a focusing effect. Dorian sure can't be used to get anyone pumped up, unless you really don't like (for example) the pop singer Sade.

Fishy - "Alternate tunings" should be split into two concepts. Techniques like tuning your guitar's lowest string to a "D" so the first three strings produce a D - A - D (or *open fifth) structure is a technique employed by *rockers who need to spend more energy on tounge than finger extensions (and rightly so!) is what is generally called alternate tunings (ie. using the same notes just grouping them differently).

This is much different than Harry Partch

http://partch.edition.net/Bhpsv1n2.html

or other microtonal tunings that takes years of exposure to get be *functional, and even then only personally (but, then again, is there any other kind of *functionality?).

Music, by definition, is structural and repetitive. Vary too far and you risk getting *it called noise... but then again, that's not saying much for the "three B's" is it? It is the only way most relate to some music as being a "sad" song or a "happy" song (and I'm not talkin lyrics here) but these are environmental effects and repetitive contexts - not intrinsic qualities.... IMHO, of course.

#77797 08/08/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...indeed, thought by some to be Evil.

This explains my comment about the "three B's"...[eg]

First; a question: What notes are in a Gsus4 chord?

= G, C, D, (F)

Depends on the song / arrangement you are playing. The (F) may or may not be appropriate to the implied key center, it may contradict or overpower the melody note (or erroneously anticipate it). In rock it'd be difference between, say, Journey and AC/DC. In Jazz, the 7th in this case is *available cuz there ain't no rules, and nobody seems to care much. In Folk, it is just as written (three notes). In other traditional styles, well that's not traditional notation.

EDIT : tsuwm - You'll like this one. I did a search for 37 note tunings ...and found one!

http://www.seriouscomposer.com/Tunings.htm

I can't stop laughing...

#77798 08/08/02 03:22 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
What notes are in a Gsus4 chord?
= G, C, D, (F)

That would certainly be technically correct, muso, but fairly difficult to achieve in pure form. I suppose it's always an issue [a delightful one, mind ] that playing the same notes simultaneously on 2 or more strings of a guitar isn't equivalent to playing the note on one string. The chord takes on a drone, a different flavour, and different compatibilities with other chords (and shades thereof). As such most chord-shapes are trade-offs, even the beginner's "standards".

The sort of shapes I'd use for Gsus4 would be:

6th String 3rd fret (G)
5th String 2nd Fret (B)
4th & 3rd Strings open (D & G)
2nd String 1st Fret (C) * only difference from a basic G
1st String 3rd Fret (G)

or -
6th String 3rd fret (G)
5th String open (A)
4th String 2nd Fret (E)
3rd String open (G)
2nd String 1st Fret (C)
1st String 3rd Fret (G)
- to go more in an Am7/C direction.
Then take your finger off the 6th String (making an E) and move it down to the 5th string 3rd Fret (making another C) and - hey presto! - you have a C (add G) shape.

You can also make a totally different Gsus4 by doing an Esus4 shape (3rd, 4th & 5th strings 2nd fret, rest open) barred on the 3rd fret. That makes the notes
G,D,G,C,D,G - closer to a pure version.

You may gather that I just love the "shadiness" or "merginess" of guitar.

For any guitarists out there, here's my favourite recent discovery. It's a luvverly Am shape (I think Am7+9 ish) that stretches your fingers a bit, but worth the effort!

6th String open (E)
5th String open (A)
4th String 2nd Fret (E) [2nd finger]
3rd String 4th Fret (B) [4th finger *this is the stre-etch]
2nd String 1st Fret (C) [1st finger]
1st String 3rd Fret (G) [3rd finger]

Works brilliantly with the Eurythmics' Here Comes The Rain Again...

#77799 08/08/02 04:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of picking nits... er... notes:

5th String 2nd Fret (B)

... 'taint no sus with a "B" in there!

... and if Faldage thinks a 'tritone' is the devil's interval he'll really *enjoy a 'minor 9th' (artfully 13 half steps)

#77800 08/08/02 04:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if Faldage thinks a 'tritone' is the devil's interval

Interestingly enough, a good quarter or more of the works we do in the community chorus, and most of them religious, have a demented fifth tucked away somewhere in them. And that's just counting the bass part.

#77801 08/08/02 10:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Y'all want fries with that? [snapping gum-e]

a demented fifth tucked away somewhere in them. And that's just counting the bass part.

That 'splains a lot.

You know, for me, reading this thread is a little like trying to read a newspaper in Danish. I keep getting cream cheese on the comics but it is fun to imagine that I am understanding something, even if it is only my personal interpretation.

#77802 08/08/02 10:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An algae-bra is something that a buxom plankton wears.

But the moosick part is interesting! I'll try out that guitar chord, shona! :)

#77803 08/08/02 10:58 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
An algae-bra is something that a buxom plankton wears.

Phwooooooooaarrrrrr!!!!

#77804 08/08/02 11:00 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
'taint no sus with a "B" in there!

[sigh] Have you learned nothing?

[points finger skyward]

#77805 08/08/02 11:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That sounded suspiciously like the mating call of a pezcyclando What key would that be in?

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,181 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith