Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
veteran
veteran
F
>Has the whole world turned upside down??
Yes, according to my beloved friend from Up Over. And he has the globe to prove it.

..and the balls to stick down for it, of course.

There's a point - do Australasians go for iced tea?
When there's no beer readily available, I mean

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>When there's no beer readily available, I mean

Well THAT'S not likely to happen in Oz anyway.

TEd
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Both icing and frosting can be heard hereabouts, but they are two different things; icing is a thinner substance, used as a glaze; think of the drippy stuff which hardens when flowing halfway down a bundt cake; frosting has a higher fat content, is thicker, and is slathered on.

Dressing and stuffing are used interchangably.

Dressing can also refer to salad dressing, but is usually accompanied by the modifier salad.

And commercially available French dressing in the US is a sweetish red glop.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And fowl byproducts can be used as lawn dressing.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And ladies who serve cucumber sandwiches at teas like to talk about window dressings. A bloody bore to me

#77097 08/04/02 03:56 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Are you forbidden sugar?

Try iced tea with a few drops of lemon juice and a good dollop of orange juice. Yum!
No caffiene?
For hot tea - I tried a lot of decaffeinated tea, the only one that tastes like "regular" tea is Twining's Decaf English Breakfast tea. Since tea has more caffeine than coffee it's nice to have a decent decaf tea.
I heard that if you cannot have caffeine and only regular tea is available, you can brew a pot of regular tea, let steep three minutes, pour off the tea then re-wet the same tea leaves and the result is a decaf tea.
Anyone confirm that?

#77098 08/04/02 07:12 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

Dear dodyskin: my dictionary gives "ice" as a transitive verb:
vt.
iced, icing
1 to change into ice; freeze
2 to cover with ice; apply ice to
3 to cool by putting ice on, in, or

What about as a slang term for "to murder," as used in mafia movies: "We iced him before he could sing to the cops."

Anyway this thread is making me thirsty...

#77099 08/05/02 12:10 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Alex, this thread is making your thirsty?

This thread is making me hungry for about six different kinds of cake.

#77100 08/05/02 12:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and sweltering in a heat wave, (day 8 of 90+ degrees with high humidity, and ozone making breathing difficult,) i am thinking of frost, rime and hoar.. i am thinking of ice and snow, sleet, slush, and of all things cold!

#77101 08/05/02 01:02 AM
old hand
old hand
Yes, wow, I've heard the same thing. The caffeine is apparently spent in the first brewing of the leaves ~ if you want confirmation from an acknowledged expert, I'd suggest you contact the guy at http://www.teasource.com. I don't remember his name, but he owns a tea specialty store in St Paul that I've been to several times, and he's been interviewed about tea on NPR. Ol' what's-his-name really knows his stuff. (I looked around on the store website a little bit, but didn't find information useful to answering this question...)

Of course, in googling, I found http://www.teatreasures.com/Teainfo.html, which confirms this idea:
"About 80 percent of the tea's caffeine content is released within the first 30 seconds of steeping. You
can enjoy all teas by decaffeinating the tea yourself by discarding the water after the first 30 seconds'
steeping, then adding fresh boiling water to the remaining leaves. Some say tea has constituents
which act to soothe and relax the body. These polyphenols begin to dissolve only in the third minute
of steeping. This is the secret to bedtime tea. If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are heated, it will
cool you; if you're depressed, it will cheer you; if you're excited, it will calm you.
—Norwood Pratt

There is more caffeine in a pound of tea than in a pound of coffee. However, a pound of coffee
produces about 40 cups, whereas a pound of tea produces about 200 cups. Green tea has about
one-third as much caffeine as black tea, and oolong has about two-thirds as much."

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith