Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#77082 07/31/02 09:05 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
hot tea is positively unnatural

Horror!

Has the whole world turned upside down??

B
veteran
veteran
B
Interesting that 'icing' seems to be used more in certain parts of the US and 'frosting' in others. I'd like to get a fix on which is used where. Around here (mid-Atlantic USA) it's nearly always 'icing'. How about you Brits and Antipodeans?

Another set of words like this is 'dressing' vs. 'stuffing' and 'filling' (referring to the savory mixture that goes into a turkey, or a roulade, or pork chops, etc., or which is served by itself as a vegetable in Pa. Dutch eateries and called 'filling'). We use both 'stuffing' and 'dressing', and there is no rhyme or reason to which one is used when. How about the rest of you?

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
> Around here (mid-Atlantic USA) it's nearly always 'icing'. How about you Brits and Antipodeans?

Icing, and, medical opinion to the contrary notwithstanding, it isn't just a stingy way to stop a cake from drying out. It can, instead, add a great deal to a cake, especially if it has a different but complementary flavour. An example of this is a beautiful, incredibly dark chocolate cake my wife makes with an icing of pure white chocolate. Given the cost, it certainly isn't stingy. Heavenly, yes, stingy, no way.

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
[turning into a food thread]

especially if it has a different but complementary flavour

Sorry to do a "me too" post, but we had a banana cake with passionfruit icing the other day ... mmmm, yum! So nice. Perfectly complimentary flavours. Now, my stomach is grumbling... thanks, you guys.

[/turning out of a food thread]

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, you ain't et till you've et the Southern Living carrot cake with cream cheese icing. That cream cheese icing is the best I have ever et. And the carrot cake ain't nothin' to ignore either. One without the other isn't so good as the two together. Draft effect. Racing again.

Who cares if it's a food thread?

We use "stuffing" and "dressing" both here in slightly southern Virginia. We do not use filling except for sweet things. We stuff our hens and turkeys, but we also serve dressing. I'd say we tend to use dressing more that stuffing, but this is an unscientific guess and I have been known to be wrong many times in my life. Fillings would be more for pies and other pastries.

What I'd like to know is what do you call that suet ball of plum pudding you hang in November to have ready by Christmas? Is there anything in particular that it should be called? I've heard pudding bag, but only in a child's song.

Batter regards,
WW

F
veteran
veteran
F
Britlish goes for icing on a cake (frosting on Frosties ) and stuffing in a turkey or chicken.

Dressing is what you put on a salad, the most popular being French Dressing (essentially oil, vinegar and mustard).

Dunno about the "suet ball of plum pudding" WW. Both Xmas puds and Xmas cakes don't tend to get hung up around here - instead they sit around in the kitchen and get "fed" loads of alcohol . Funny thing is the bottle of spirits in the kitchen always disappears quicker than it goes into the cake/pud. Can't think why. [innocence]

#77088 08/01/02 02:00 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Horror!

Has the whole world turned upside down??

Yes, according to my beloved friend from Up Over. And he has the globe to prove it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re:Dunno about the "suet ball of plum pudding" WW
Hard sauce! you can by it ready made, but its basicly confection (10X) sugar, butter (lots!) and a little cream..

but other desserts get soft custard, which in our house was just called "Birds" the brand name of the company that made the flavored powder mix.. in the north East, Birds is pretty much a staple good, and found in most stores.

Birds Custard is basically a cooked pudding (milk, sugar, vanilla flavor and some corn starch, heated till it thinkens.)but thinner.. it never gets as thick as pudding but always "pourable" like gravy. it can be "enriched" by adding an egg, and making it into a real custard.

In US, pudding is almost always a milk pudding, (sweetened, flavored milk, cooked with corn starch till thick, and cooled--but nowday, often instant-- no cooking needed)

Custard is similar, but it is thickened with eggs, (and is harder to make, since you need to heat the milk to thicken, but if you boil it, it tends to curdle. )

Both would be "soft solids" if molded into a cup, they could be unmolded and would keep there shape.(mostly, they would sag)

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The hard sauce goes on the plum pudding after you've boiled or baked the plum pudding. The pudding itself, if made the old-fashioned way, is hung in a bag where the alcohol works a little wonder. If memory serves me, the suet pudding is made late November and hangs till Christmas...? I think some people pour more alcohol onto the pudding and flame it when serving, and then a boat of hard sauce is passed around and the dinner guests pour on as much sauce as they please--depending upon, I suppose, how sauced they are!

B
veteran
veteran
B
Complementary icing on cake does indeed do wonders. In our family you always got to choose what kind of cake you wanted for your birthday. My brothers and I always chose dark chocolate with peanut butter icing. PB icing is made by adding smooth peanut butter to vanilla butter cream icing.

Then there is one of my favorites, which is maybe not exactly 'icing' - gingerbread covered with whipped cream, sweetened and flavored with finely grated orange zest.

Pardon my perpetuating a food thread.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith