Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
veteran
veteran
F
among professional truckers.. the term "tractor-unit" is fairly common, and this is sometimes abbrev'ed to "tractor."
Professionals, shmofessionals, mate. I'm taking a common or garden as-much-of-an-ignoramus-as-me perspective here.
I'm sure I've heard the front bit of an artic called something else. "Rig" is it?

>a wagon is always pulled by a horse or a team of horses..
or a railway locomotive

Oh yes, as in a "goods wagon". I suppose not so much rail transportation of goods happens these days in the UK.

>>Brits wouldn't have a clue what a panel truck was.
now, I have to disagree with that one, except that we say panel van..better known among commercial drivers and operators than the gen.pub

As I said above regarding professionals...

Actually I can see there is a distinction between an old-fashioned standard (car-sized) van and, say, a Ford Transit van. The latter is more likely to have a door in the side as well as back doors, for one thing.

a truck is more likely to mean a hand cart with four wheels over here
Hmmm, I would tend to think working lorry, as in tow truck, having said which I can't think of any other examples..
Rarely hand cart, but I wonder if this is a North-South thing?

It's a rich area, this, sure enough!

#76956 07/31/02 01:11 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
just got an older one of these; good for the hilly dirt roads where we live, and the copious snow in the winter-time...

Ah, now I see, eta. Thanks.

Very much the same area as the Land Rover Freelander, I think:
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Products/Vehicle_Range/Freelander

So an SUV is like a mini RV, a sorty of semi-off-roader?

Your case excepted, I reckon this is often in the same territory as people buying mountain bikes and never taking them off-road, and mothers dropping their kids at school with a gleaming 2/4-wheel drive that's never been in 4-wheel drive mode.
I suppose we have a river nearby that occasionally floods, so a high wheel-base is useful. But!

#76957 07/31/02 01:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, I wouldn't say an SUV is a mini-RV; RV's are for camping-SUV's ostensibly capable of off-roading, though most of them wouldn't stand up to it. all the major car-makers build them, but definitely the Land Rover paved the way.(bass-ackwards pun, there...) the idea, I think, was to appeal to the macho American driver while making sure there was somethin' there for the missus': a Jeep with all the comforts of home.

up here in Vermont, 4X4's get used, a fairly essential vehicle. the silliest SUV's I've ever seen are the stretch limo SUV's you see in NYC. laughable...

the Land Rover's are very cool, I think I'd want a Defender though, seems more like the real thing!

formerly known as etaoin...
#76958 07/31/02 02:02 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
the Land Rover's are very cool, I think I'd want a Defender though, seems more like the real thing!

Agreement and Respect!

There was a really good Simpsons where Marge gets a Canyonero [sp?], or rather Homer gets one, only to be told that it's meant for lady drivers.

#76959 08/01/02 04:07 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Marge gets a Canyonero

The song (edit: about the Canyonero)has become a catch-phrase in our house, every time we see someone driving a giant, monstrous SUV, who clearly has no chance of ever taking it off-road but is merely driving it to look cool.

Along the same lines...I always say "Malibu Stacy, with NEW HAT!!!*" whenever we run across some product which is just a clever re-packaging of an older product, with no improvement in performance.

* Referring to the Simpsons episode where Lisa helps design a non-sexist Barbie-type doll, and when it first goes on sale, it is promptly upstaged by a stack of "new" Malibu Stacy dolls (the "mainstream" Barbie-type doll in the Simpsons Universe) which are identical to the "old" Malibu Stacy dolls but have a new hat. And so the little girls rush to buy the Malibu Stacy doll, sexist comments and everything, just because she has a new hat, and better marketers. It is one of my all-time favourite Simpsons episodes.

#76960 08/01/02 08:25 PM
C
C
I love the Simpsons. Here are the lyrics to the song from that episode.

Canyonero
22nd February 1998

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Hey, hey!
Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
Sixty five tons of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
She blinds everybody with her super high beams
She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine
Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!
Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!

#76961 08/01/02 09:27 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I'm not sure how legal this is, but someone else obviously shared my enjoyment of Dave Barry's take on SUVs
http://www.psych.upenn.edu/~mims/suv.html

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith