Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#7625 10/10/00 06:08 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
what this place needs is more threads. <g> accordingly, here are three more nonce(?) words to toss around:

bebeloglyphic - relating to profane, unholy writing?

the words themselves sank down into the ink crimped paper and perversely seemed to have an existence only on the other side of the page: a bebeloglyphic of revolt and refusal, backwards in dead black. Theroux, Darconville's Cat, p. 302.

nikhedonia - the pleasure derived from anticipating success [according to various word lists, unfound in any *real sourece]

megalonisus - a tendency to exaggerate [according to Mrs. Bryne, uia*rs]

#7626 10/11/00 12:51 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
megalonisus - a tendency to exaggerate [according to Mrs. Bryne, uia*rs]

I'm probably about to display my ignorance of literature and science fiction at the same time, but here goes....

I had no idea who Mrs Bryne was or what uia*rs stands for. I'm still none the wiser on the latter, but Mrs Bryne (Josepha Heifetz) wrote a Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words (Secaucus, New Jersey: University Books 1974) although it's apparently out of print, tsuwm and his friends having bought up all available stock. She even has her own Word of the Day at
http://www.textstore.co.il/mrsbyrne/mrsbyrne.htm

The rest of you probably already knew, but Megalon is a monster featuring in one of the Godzilla movies. You can check out the handsome creature here:
http://www.parlorcity.com/awinterrowd/kaiju/gallery/megalon.html

So tsuwm's given definition for megalonisus sounds reasonable, although I have a problem with the suffix. "-isus" just doesn't look right to me. If it were a disease then it would be megalonitis.

After all that, I've had no success finding any reference to back up the definition, but I have been in transports of delight to hitherto unexplored parts of the Internet.

#7627 10/11/00 04:57 AM
old hand
old hand
megalonisus: this is a greco-latin compound word, probably of recent date: megalos (greek, well known) = big, and nisus, less well known, latin, striving, see
http:// www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/lexindex?lookup=nisus&type=begin&options=Sort+Results+Alphabetically&lang=la#nisus#1 . "Nikhedonia" appears to me an even more blatantly modern construct from nikao (greek, I win) and hedonia (greek, pleasure). I should not be surprised if it turned out to be created by a German (given the order of the component words)..

#7628 10/11/00 12:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoa, Marty and wsieber, I bow to your: a.)wisdom and b.)
resourcefulness. Scrape, scrape! (Marty, I hadn't a clue either about those things.)

tsuwm, one thought: babeloglyphic would make more sense to me.

#7629 10/11/00 03:01 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
> I'm still none the wiser on the latter [uia*rs]

marty, I apologize for the obfuscation... this was either meant to be an abbrev. for the previously used :unfound in any *real source: or was the unexplained introduction of a new acronym: uninformed ignorant anti-intellectualism *really sucks. 8-)

thank you for the Mrs. Byrne link, which nicely complements having her as a reference on my bookshelf. <g> she may be out of print, but I still see her from time to time at book stores. it's an interesting little dictionary, but the claim that "incredible as it may seem, every entry in this book, even the most ludicrous, has been accepted as a formal or legitimate English word by at least one major dictionary" seems incredible (megalonisus and nikhedonia are in her dictionary).

one other note about the Mrs. Byrne link: calling it a "Word of the Day" is certainly a misnomer, since it seems to be a "word of the load" ... [try reloading it]

#7630 10/11/00 08:19 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
one other note about the Mrs. Byrne link: calling it a "Word of the Day" is certainly a misnomer, since it seems to be a "word of the load" ... [try reloading it]

Actually it's more like "Word on Demand" - just keep hitting the "More" button below the Word of the Day until your patience wears thin, your brain numbs or your finger stiffens up.

#7631 10/17/00 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>> here are three more nonce(?) words to toss around<<

Nonce is a wonderful word--and while I have seen it currently defined as "one time" (or to define a word that has a single one time use), it has for years meant more than that to me... It is a word I learned so early, that it seems as if i always knew it.
Shakespeare spoke of the three Nonces--(in macbeth, i think). In Celtic myth, the three nonces are swans, who carry yesterday, today and tomorrow on their backs....
None of the three know of each other, each sees only their view... they are not burdened, since yesterday, today and tomorrow are ephemeral.

#7632 10/17/00 06:04 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
there is a distinction to be made here about "nonce words"; while they are coined for a special occasion and single use, they often take on a life of their own and many are absorbed into our language (e.g., gerrymander, many Lewis Carrol inventions). but there is another term for a single known usage of a word: hapax legomenon [Gk, something said only once].

#7633 10/17/00 11:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Helen,

Thank you for the swan myth--lovely--, and welcome.

#7634 10/18/00 12:27 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
There is yet another meaning for "nonce" - unfortunately. I almost feel that I should not bring it in to this thread, especially knowing Jackie's predilection for swans - and I agree that Helen's definition is far pleasanter than mine.

But in the interests of completeness, to produce as near as possible a full rotundity of nuance and meaning, I have to tell you that "nonce" is prison cant for someone who is "doing time" for a sexual offence. They are people who are universally abhorred by the rest of the inhabitants of the prison - staff and cons alike. They are frequently assaulted and very often have to be segregated for their own safety. The worst cases are removed to separate wings of the jail, or even to separate jails.

I have no idea at all where or why the term acquired that meaning.

The term has spilled out of jail, and I have occasionally heard it used - in the same context - in civilian life.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith