Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Yes Bingley...at the time I found two references to Chinese mythology (on net) and recently one reference to Babylonian mythology (encyclopedia of Myths & Legends). I must admit I didn't check into it further since I've been using belMarduk for quite a while.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
oops, forgot to add my <knock> info to previous note. I've been asking around. A few people mentioned the expression "knock yourself out" (always pronounced knock yerself out)usually said to somebody who wants to have a go at something you have not been able to do and usually preceded by "oh ya," a bit of a snicker and a "well of course he opened it up I loosened it first" after the fact.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
From an encyclopaedia I have at home:

"BEL
[from Akkadian, meaning "Owner; Master"].

A Babylonian deity.

The title Bel was first applied to the god Enlil. Bel was part of the original Sumerian triad of deities, along with Anu and Enki (Ea). When Marduk (Merodach) became the chief god of Babylon, he was also given the name Bel.-"

See also
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/8/0,5716,15358+1+15167,00.html

The Hebrew prophet Daniel was given the name "Belteshazzar" by his Babylonian captors, if I remember my childhood Bible lessons correctly.

#7102 10/02/00 08:36 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
easily disassembled into its component parts

Checking back through this thread, I realise I failed to rise to this usage earlier, TEd. It has been the subject of intense debate in my family - my dad hates it with a passion, saying what's wrong with dismantle?! I defend it on the grounds as having a more subtle meaning than dismantle - it suggests to me this very sense of reduction to component form which implies the object's 're-mantling' at some stage. And since mantle as a positive verbal construct seems to have fallen off the table, I like the extra distinction this usage allows. However, it still leaves me with the nagging doubt of the pedant - am I sticking with a word out of misguided finesse, which most others are using with blunt imprecision. So I am reassured to find it in use here - not misguidedly I hope?

#7103 10/02/00 10:26 AM
old hand
old hand
"to disassemble into its component parts" strikes me as a pleonasm. I think "disassemble" in itself is more than sufficiently pedantic. Things like scrambled eggs are impossible to disassemble anyway, and cars etc. can also be separated into their component parts.

#7104 10/02/00 10:39 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
impossible to disassemble

I agree that some things like scrambled egg are impossible to disassemble (does this hold true of neoplasm?)

But surely this adds to the suggestion that "to disassemble" carries the extra meaning that the parts may end up reconstituted...?

By the way, I think my dad's straining at the word comes from the difference of UK and USA English which definitely have their own aesthetic sensibilities (I know, tsuwm, YART!)

#7105 10/02/00 12:31 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Perhaps we didn't use disassemble to avoid the confusion with dissemble. Thinking about it, avoiding confusion with other words never really seems to have stopped us using them has it?

Disassemble is one of those IKEA words, used generally late at night when discovering that a vital screwhole is in the wrong place because the whole side had been put on upside down!

#7106 10/02/00 04:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav:

To me dismantle has the connotation of taking something apart permanently. At the end of WW II the United States dismantled the largest army it had ever fielded.

Disassemble to me carries the connotation that the new state of the object is temporary: I disassembled the computer desk because it wouldn't fit into the trunk (or boot for many of you).

Also, when I disassemble something, there's an implication that I am following instructions in reverse order. And, after all, one does not mantle a piece of furniture, one assembles it :)

TEd
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
the new state of the object is temporary

Yep, I'm with you on this interpretation TEd. And with you Jo, when you imply a little confusion never hurt a language's chances. Or in the case of IKEA, a little contusion

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
: I disassembled the computer desk because it wouldn't fit into the trunk (or boot for many of you).

Surely, TEd, you could, in the first case, have got the elephant to carry it on it's back, or, in the second, have shoehorned it in?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith