Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70485 05/18/02 08:02 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In the US, there is a hiking trail, the Appalachian trail. it starts in Georgia, with the first promiment appearence of green mineral, called serpentine, (but the Appalachians themselves extend to Arkanasas) and end in Maine, (but the mountains, and the serpentine, continue) all the way up to New Brunswick, and these mountains are geologically the same that run through Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and Scotland. they have the same stata's, and the serpentine.

every where in this ancient, eroded chain of mountains, the local names change.. i know many of the local names, but certainly not all of them. -- but what is interesting, is this chain connects many here on this board.. so, if you now, or have every lived in, or near this chain of mountains, what are your names for them? I will give two NY names, ( i am sure there are others who can give other NY names, Whit, i know two NJ names.. but i think you know them) what are the called near you, Wow, and Mav, WW, Jackie, Biker mom, Jo and everyone else?

In NY, at different points, the mountains are called Catskills, some of the lower more eroded parts are called the Ramapos.

in my reading about the appalachians, i came across two predominant ways of saying Appalachia.
NY-- Appa-lay-chia
Non NY Appa -latch-a
are there others?

#70486 05/18/02 09:12 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Which reminds me that I never did get round to reading a Walk in the Woods - adore the author, I do.

writing recently inspired by Yoda (boy can he move)having seen Star Wars (-2) - sorry about Ewan McGregor folks, I know he's Scottish, but

#70487 05/18/02 10:07 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Of the Appalachian Mountains, of troy, they extend from Maine to Alabama, and not into Arkansas- that's the Ozarks.
The orogenies of the two mountain ranges differ greatly in time and in process, and Alabamians get miffed when you leave them off your list.

#70488 05/18/02 10:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there's Apalachin, NY. Pronounced appl-ayk-'n

#70489 05/18/02 10:56 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
The North Carolina-Tennessee border section of the trails is in the Smokey Mountains, so named because of the mist that hovers above and among the trees. It's a beautiful area (I've backpacked in that section twice) and home to the famed Rocky Top, but also Gatlinburg and Dollywood.

I've always pronounced Appalachian as "apa-LAY-sh'n".

#70490 05/18/02 11:24 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
We've got the Blue Ridge Mountains that are part of the Appalachians over in Charlottesville. I drove through 'em last weekend. They're called the Blue Ridge Mountains, suprisingly, because they are blue and they appear to have some ridges. The trees on 'em that most would expect to be green are blue, and the bears, possums, and squirrels in 'em are blue, too, not to mention the chrysalises, however you spell the dadburn word and its plural.

Oh, and we pronounce the chain: Apple LAY Chins

Blue Ridgegards,
Wordwhipped

#70491 05/18/02 11:35 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Serpentinite is a rare rock type that is developed only in subduction zones, where one tectonic
plate is subducted under another. This serpentinite at the Presidio is probably made from rock
scraped off the bottom of ocean crust that is found east of the subduction zone. These deep ocean
crust and upper mantle rocks were then altered by pressure and hot fluids that circulated through
them in the subduction zone and on their way to the surface. They are now at the Earth's surface
because the region has experienced uplift after subduction ceased, and because these altered rocks are now lighter than surrounding rocks and are therefore rising to the surface."

#70492 05/19/02 01:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes helen, but the Ramapos are hills, really, up in the Northeast corner of the state rimming New York in Passaic county. The real deal is the Kittatinny Mountains in the Northwest corner of the state in Sussex and Warren Counties including High Point State Park, Stokes State Forest, and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I lived on a lake in Sussex County (Lake Mohawk in Sparta) when I was a boy. The Appalachian Trail goes right through The Delaware Water Gap (including the gorgeous Worthington Tract) and Stokes State Forest. This part of New Jersey is known as The Skylands. Here's URLs for photos and background on the Kitattinny Mountain area and the Delaware Water Gap (which also borders on Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains). Get Off the Turnpike!®

http://www.njskylands.com/odhikeaptrl.htm

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~gtan/album/Tg_DelawareWaterGap04_thumb.jpg

#70493 05/19/02 02:41 AM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
well actually the ozarks are were originally part of the same mountain chain.. and then a long ago, a river carved its way throug a gap... and now the mighty mississippi divide the ozarks from the rest of the appalachian chain.. just as the same geological structures cross the atlantic.. the appalachian mountains where a huge geological structure.
i knew the appalachian trail started in georgia, and i didn't think they went south of Atlanta..

#70494 05/19/02 12:46 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Helen,

You keep writing that the Appalachians start in Georgia. Is this geologically true? At their beginning, did they start in Georgia v. Maine? Interesting concept to think about...

Best regards,
WW

#70495 05/19/02 01:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here is a URL with a map of Appalachians. Also mentions Taconics, close to MA, NY boundary.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/LivingWith/VolcanicPast/Places/volcanic_past_appalachians.html

#70496 05/19/02 03:14 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The appalachians are very, very old.. and they start in the ozarks, which got cut off from the main part of the chain by the mississippi. (all of this is from general reading and US geological Info survey(GIS)-) In the US, they extendt to Maine, but continue onto cananda -- the same coal that is mined in West Virgina, is mined in Nova Scotia, (and Canada has its own 'coal miners daughter' in Anne Murray) but they don't end in canada.

Long, long ago, the north american main land was connected to europe (in one of the phases of what is now called Gai) and the same geological structures that make for coal mines in WV, also exist in Wales and Scotland. The geological layers there, mimic the ones in the appalachians, (with the same rich coal layer) so it seem geologically, ireland, Wales, Cornwall and Scotland, where once part of the same land mass as east coast of North America.. but every 50 miles or so, the mountains change names.
So far
(Ozark)
Smokey
Blue Ridge
Kittatinny
Poconos
Catskills
Taconic
(that is more or less, going from south west to North east)
i know at least 5 other local names.. (Massachusets, NH, Pennsylvanian, --if you count foot hills (like the Ramapo or Watchangs,(Whit, you for got the Watchangs!-- i was leaving the Taconic's for some one up state NY!)

they are much more eroded in the south that in the north, the mountains of NY are hoo-hum, but the moutains of Nova Scotia are mountains and i under stand to Canadians, the mountains of Nova Scotia are hills compared to New Brunswick..

Even in NH (where are you Wow?) the Appalachins are mountains by any ones estimation (snow covered in summer, steep rocky crags, highest point of elevation on the east coast, worst weather (some say world, but at least in NA).

One of the continuing features is the Serpentine (which Dr Bill above give more details about.) Anthrocite coal is an other. the fosiles in shale between the layers of coal also are very similar.

and finally WW, the appalachian trail starts in Georgia. Parts of West Virginia are called Appalachia, but the but the Appalachian mountains are a huge, old, eroded chain.. and not limited to West Virginia. they shape my land scape (well 50 miles away) too.

#70497 05/19/02 03:57 PM
K
K
The Catoctin Mountains are a small chain that go between Frederick, MD into southern Pennsylvania; Camp David is located near Thurmont, MD, about 15 miles north and a little west of Frederick. Aren't they just about the last gasp of anything that could be called mountains before reaching the Chesapeake Bay?

#70498 05/19/02 04:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
of Troy,

I'm just trying to determine whether the Appalachians or the Appalachian Trail "starting" in Georgia is a matter of semantics or geology.

You wrote:

and finally WW, the appalachian trail starts in Georgia. Parts of West Virginia are called Appalachia, but the but the Appalachian mountains are a huge, old, eroded chain.. and not limited to West Virginia. they shape my land scape (well 50 miles away) too.

Again, is the start of the trail in Georgia just something everybody agrees is the "start"? Why not start the trail in the north? Don't people who walk the trail do it from north to south, and, in so doing, believe the trail starts for them in Maine? Or is there something more to this starting than I'm aware of? Did the Appalachians burst forth from south to north?

Not trying to be difficult here. Honestly.

Birth of a Trail Regards,
WW

#70499 05/19/02 04:20 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Or is there something more to this starting than I'm aware of?

from http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/start.html:

The majority of thru-hikers start at Springer Mountain in Georgia and hike north towards Katahdin in Maine. In the past several years, ATC has received approximately nine northbound "2,000-miler" completion reports for every one southbound report.

. . .

A southbound hike will allow you much more solitude, but you will be "breaking in" on the most rugged part of the Trail. A Maine-to-Georgia hike also requires that you traverse long distances between resupply points in the early part of your trek. In many ways it's a tougher hike than a northbound thru-hike. Fewer than 400 people have reported completion of the A.T. southbound.

#70500 05/19/02 04:23 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, Jazz. Well, I guess that explains that.

Wordwind

#70501 05/19/02 05:16 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
with apologies to Daniel Webster I paraphrase :
Up here in New Hampshire's White Mountains
God has hung out a sign
to show that in New Hampshire He makes men!

See photo proof at :
http://njcc.com/~dam/photo/pcd3890/img0017.html

#70502 05/19/02 07:22 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Wow: The head has deteriorated sadly since I saw it as a boy.

#70503 05/19/02 09:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Whit, you forgot the Watchungs)

Well, as Popeye would say: Goshk, but dat's embarraskin'!

Yeah, actually®, I grew up with the Watchung Mountains, they bordered the Plainfields just across "Death's Highway," good ol' Route 22. I always kid these flatlanders down here in South Jersey who think they know how to drive that "I learned to drive in the Watchung Mountains (some deadly curves there) and Route 22, so go and cry about your inch of snow on somebody else's shoulder" (people get an inch or two down here they panic 'cause they're used to relatively mild winters since the Jersey Cape extends out into the water, they call out of work and everything! ). I used to go camping and hiking with the Boyscouts at Camp Watchung in the Watchung Reservation, used to frequent the nature trails at Surprise Lake and the Trailside Museum (found one of my most prized fossils, an Equus tooth from the Pleistocene, there), and had a girlfriend who went to Watchung High (and we loved it when Watchung High teams showed up on the schedule, 'cause Plainfield killed 'em in every sport). Not to mention many sojourns to Washington Rock where Gen. Washington reputedly watched the Revolutionary War "Battle of Plainfield" from a perch overlooking the valley (I think you Brits licked us on my hometown turf, mates ).
So how could I forget the Watchung Mountains? Dunno, Helen. I guess they were so close, and so much a part of my life (and so close to suburbia), that I just didn't think of them as mountians anymore...we'd just call 'em the Watchungs. Real mountains were always somewhere else...at least the hour's drive to the Kittatinnys in Sussex County, the Poconos, the Catskills, the Adirondacks (add to list), the Blue Ridge, the Alleghenies (add to list)...those were mountains, not those hills in your own backyard. Now ain't that a lot of rationalizing words just to get to saying this...I forgot, okay!? So sue me!
and don't go to the "S"-moment, I ain't buyin' that, yet!

#70504 05/20/02 01:16 PM
S
S

#70505 05/20/02 02:06 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear SilkMuse: "Arc en Ciel" means rainbow. And the very best natural knife and plane blade sharpening stones are "ouachitas" or washitas.

#70506 05/20/02 03:57 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
From the south, moving north.. to Canada.

(Ozark) (not considered part of the Appalachians, but actually from a geological point of view, should be)
North Georgia mountains (edited, as per AS!thanks)
Cumberland
Smokey
Blue Ridge
Shenandoah
Catoctin
Allegheny
Kittatinny
Poconos
Catskills
Adirondack
Berkshires
Green
White Mountains
Katahdin
Longfellow
Notre Dame(Quebec/Newbrunswick)
Long Range (Newfoundland)

Foot Hills and Highland associated with the Appalachian's (incomplete, to say the least)
Piemont Plateau (extends into Alabama)
Watchang
Ramapo
Cape Breton Highland

In Scotland/ Wales?
Cambrian?
Grumpian?

i am sure that there are more...

#70507 05/20/02 06:59 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Adirondack
Berkshires
Green
White Mountains
Katahdin

I've hiked many of the AT stretches in these mountains over the years, and the stretch in the Green Mountains is also called "The Long Trail." I tell ya, for all that it's not that long, it is looooong. Some rough, cruddy hiking, parts of it actually straddling a narrow stone stream bed full of coooold water. And that's in the summer. At least the skeeters take a pint or so of yer blood away each day, so yer load gits lighter as you travel.

Cool thread, ms. helen.

#70508 05/20/02 07:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whoops! North Georgia Mountains, Helen.

I trust everyone here has read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods? Not his best, but still hilarious (and you learn a lot from it, too).

#70509 05/21/02 12:13 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
...the backbone of Horseblock and Cheaha Mountains, the southern most extension of the Appalachian mountain range, to Alabama’s highest peak at 2,407 feet elevation. Southern hospitality abounds. - internet

Not all true. The piedmont region represents the earliest, and metamorphic, appalachian uplift and folding. The later sedimentary orogeny extends through Birmingham and then dips one mile deep beneath Tuscaloosa. In Alabama this two hundred mile long ridge is called Red Mountain.

#70510 05/21/02 12:19 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hyla, do you have a 50 mile badge? (or badges) NY trailwalkers (and other organizations,) offer badges to add to your pack for every 50 mile (and no, i haven't done 50 miles,) but i have walked some of the tail,(no more than 10 miles) where it passes through Bear Mountain State Park (Hi Rubrick!)and i've walked abit up in the white mountains (NH)-- but walk isn't the word to use with the White mountains!

there are some nice simple caves (been spelunking too) along the train in Bear Mountain park.

#70511 05/23/02 09:53 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Here in Kentucky I have heard both "Appa-LAY-sha" and "Appa-LATCH-a." I'm not really sure what I would call the "main pronunciation." Most people that I know who live in what would be called Appalachia tend to simply say "I live in Eastern Kentucky."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith