Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70485 05/18/02 08:02 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In the US, there is a hiking trail, the Appalachian trail. it starts in Georgia, with the first promiment appearence of green mineral, called serpentine, (but the Appalachians themselves extend to Arkanasas) and end in Maine, (but the mountains, and the serpentine, continue) all the way up to New Brunswick, and these mountains are geologically the same that run through Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and Scotland. they have the same stata's, and the serpentine.

every where in this ancient, eroded chain of mountains, the local names change.. i know many of the local names, but certainly not all of them. -- but what is interesting, is this chain connects many here on this board.. so, if you now, or have every lived in, or near this chain of mountains, what are your names for them? I will give two NY names, ( i am sure there are others who can give other NY names, Whit, i know two NJ names.. but i think you know them) what are the called near you, Wow, and Mav, WW, Jackie, Biker mom, Jo and everyone else?

In NY, at different points, the mountains are called Catskills, some of the lower more eroded parts are called the Ramapos.

in my reading about the appalachians, i came across two predominant ways of saying Appalachia.
NY-- Appa-lay-chia
Non NY Appa -latch-a
are there others?

#70486 05/18/02 09:12 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Which reminds me that I never did get round to reading a Walk in the Woods - adore the author, I do.

writing recently inspired by Yoda (boy can he move)having seen Star Wars (-2) - sorry about Ewan McGregor folks, I know he's Scottish, but

#70487 05/18/02 10:07 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Of the Appalachian Mountains, of troy, they extend from Maine to Alabama, and not into Arkansas- that's the Ozarks.
The orogenies of the two mountain ranges differ greatly in time and in process, and Alabamians get miffed when you leave them off your list.

#70488 05/18/02 10:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Then there's Apalachin, NY. Pronounced appl-ayk-'n

#70489 05/18/02 10:56 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
The North Carolina-Tennessee border section of the trails is in the Smokey Mountains, so named because of the mist that hovers above and among the trees. It's a beautiful area (I've backpacked in that section twice) and home to the famed Rocky Top, but also Gatlinburg and Dollywood.

I've always pronounced Appalachian as "apa-LAY-sh'n".

#70490 05/18/02 11:24 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
We've got the Blue Ridge Mountains that are part of the Appalachians over in Charlottesville. I drove through 'em last weekend. They're called the Blue Ridge Mountains, suprisingly, because they are blue and they appear to have some ridges. The trees on 'em that most would expect to be green are blue, and the bears, possums, and squirrels in 'em are blue, too, not to mention the chrysalises, however you spell the dadburn word and its plural.

Oh, and we pronounce the chain: Apple LAY Chins

Blue Ridgegards,
Wordwhipped

#70491 05/18/02 11:35 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"Serpentinite is a rare rock type that is developed only in subduction zones, where one tectonic
plate is subducted under another. This serpentinite at the Presidio is probably made from rock
scraped off the bottom of ocean crust that is found east of the subduction zone. These deep ocean
crust and upper mantle rocks were then altered by pressure and hot fluids that circulated through
them in the subduction zone and on their way to the surface. They are now at the Earth's surface
because the region has experienced uplift after subduction ceased, and because these altered rocks are now lighter than surrounding rocks and are therefore rising to the surface."

#70492 05/19/02 01:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes helen, but the Ramapos are hills, really, up in the Northeast corner of the state rimming New York in Passaic county. The real deal is the Kittatinny Mountains in the Northwest corner of the state in Sussex and Warren Counties including High Point State Park, Stokes State Forest, and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I lived on a lake in Sussex County (Lake Mohawk in Sparta) when I was a boy. The Appalachian Trail goes right through The Delaware Water Gap (including the gorgeous Worthington Tract) and Stokes State Forest. This part of New Jersey is known as The Skylands. Here's URLs for photos and background on the Kitattinny Mountain area and the Delaware Water Gap (which also borders on Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains). Get Off the Turnpike!®

http://www.njskylands.com/odhikeaptrl.htm

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~gtan/album/Tg_DelawareWaterGap04_thumb.jpg

#70493 05/19/02 02:41 AM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
well actually the ozarks are were originally part of the same mountain chain.. and then a long ago, a river carved its way throug a gap... and now the mighty mississippi divide the ozarks from the rest of the appalachian chain.. just as the same geological structures cross the atlantic.. the appalachian mountains where a huge geological structure.
i knew the appalachian trail started in georgia, and i didn't think they went south of Atlanta..

#70494 05/19/02 12:46 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Helen,

You keep writing that the Appalachians start in Georgia. Is this geologically true? At their beginning, did they start in Georgia v. Maine? Interesting concept to think about...

Best regards,
WW

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith